Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Stereo & Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
BlackBirds's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 24
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 315
Default Aftermarket speakers replacing stock Monsoon system

I've got a few blown speakers in my '99 Firebird with the Monsoon system and am looking to replace them. I've looked at dealer prices for stock replacement speakers and its kind of expensive compared to aftermarket speakers. I've heard that aftermarket speakers aren't compatible with cars that come with the Monsoon system and you're better off finding stock replacements. Is this true or have I been wrongly informed and will be OK with aftermarket replacements
__________________

2002 Trans Am WS6
1999 Trans Am WS6
1999 Firebird Y87/W68
BlackBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Mod Motor Premium Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now
 
KEE AUDIO's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 65
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,837
Default

I have speaker replacement packages on special right now for your car.
__________________
[sigpic][/sigpic]
KeeAudio.com
KEE AUDIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member
1964 Ford Medium-Duty
My Garage
 
Formula350's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Decatur, TN (N-W of Athens)
Posts: 7,570
Send a message via ICQ to Formula350 Send a message via AIM to Formula350 Send a message via MSN to Formula350 Send a message via Yahoo to Formula350
Default

I was looking into getting these for the Mid-Bass in mine
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400016435825

And I believe this would work for the front doors, but not 100% sure on the tweeters... Also not sure if the woofer there is intended to be a sub/mid-bass or not.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ400008845619
__________________
1993 Firebird Formula A4 3.42 Torsen Posi
BBK 58mm TB | 24# SVO Inejctors | Stage 1 4L60 | Circle-D 2400 Stall | Vortec Alu Elbow
Afro Engineering CAI | SLP Catback Dual-Dual | LS1 Rear Brakes | Self Tuned Chip | !EGR !AIR

Planned: Polyurethane kit, IAT Relocation (closer to filter), Custom CAI.
"If your car doesn't run 12's, shorten the track" - Urban (x3Dfx Forum)
Formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Mod Motor Premium Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now
 
KEE AUDIO's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 65
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,837
Default

The replacement packages I sell are actually specifically for your F-body. No guess work involved. I have 2 packages to choose from and they actually work with your Firebird. The Kickers that are listed there are not the correct subwoofer for sailpanels in a Firebird application and actually could potentially damage your stock amp, they will however work for a Camaro. I have the correct DVC subs in my standard package which is on sale right now for $277.00 shipped. This includes doors, sails and rear hatch replacements so every speaker in your car gets replaced.
The subs in Formula350's 93 Formula are completley different then what is in your 99 car unless he swapped in a Monsoon system. It is a common mistake though.
__________________
[sigpic][/sigpic]
KeeAudio.com
KEE AUDIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
TECH Senior Member
1964 Ford Medium-Duty
My Garage
 
Formula350's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Decatur, TN (N-W of Athens)
Posts: 7,570
Send a message via ICQ to Formula350 Send a message via AIM to Formula350 Send a message via MSN to Formula350 Send a message via Yahoo to Formula350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO View Post
The replacement packages I sell are actually specifically for your F-body. No guess work involved. I have 2 packages to choose from and they actually work with your Firebird. The Kickers that are listed there are not the correct subwoofer for sailpanels in a Firebird application and actually could potentially damage your stock amp, they will however work for a Camaro. I have the correct DVC subs in my standard package which is on sale right now for $277.00 shipped. This includes doors, sails and rear hatch replacements so every speaker in your car gets replaced.
The subs in Formula350's 93 Formula are completley different then what is in your 99 car unless he swapped in a Monsoon system. It is a common mistake though.
No, I didn't swap a Monsoon in, mine's the good ole pre-Monsoon 10 speaker HOWEVER I do plan to use a Monsoon amp from a 99 or 00. I have it and all the speakers except the mid-bass. The 4 door speakers are actually the Monsoon ones ATM. I have noticed a big change in ohms between them though. Like my rear Mids I think are the 4ohm and the Monsoons are 10ohm! I think that my amp does the crossover stuff (or whatever it's call) and the Monsoon doesn't. I vaguely remember removing or swapping some capacitors/resistors when I swapped in the fronts. The rest of my cars speakers now are still like-new, it was just the door speakers that were shot. Only reason I want some new mid-bass is for a bit cleaner and better sounding bass. The factory ones kick quite a bit of *** and if I'm listening to techno or the like, thump damn good, I attribute some of that to my deck though and it's frequency fine-tuning options.

That, and I'd never spend over $100 on speakers heh I got all the Monsoon's (minus mid-bass remember) and Amp for $50. Only audio piece I'd spend over $150 on would be a deck, but I have no plans to upgrade as mine does all I need.
__________________
1993 Firebird Formula A4 3.42 Torsen Posi
BBK 58mm TB | 24# SVO Inejctors | Stage 1 4L60 | Circle-D 2400 Stall | Vortec Alu Elbow
Afro Engineering CAI | SLP Catback Dual-Dual | LS1 Rear Brakes | Self Tuned Chip | !EGR !AIR

Planned: Polyurethane kit, IAT Relocation (closer to filter), Custom CAI.
"If your car doesn't run 12's, shorten the track" - Urban (x3Dfx Forum)
Formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
Ungrounded Director
Garage is empty, add now
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula350 View Post
No, I didn't swap a Monsoon in, mine's the good ole pre-Monsoon 10 speaker HOWEVER I do plan to use a Monsoon amp from a 99 or 00. I have it and all the speakers except the mid-bass. The 4 door speakers are actually the Monsoon ones ATM.
You'll have to know whether the amp you got is from a Camaro or a Firebird because they are completely different and use different speakers - especially for the sail panel subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula350 View Post
I have noticed a big change in ohms between them though. Like my rear Mids I think are the 4ohm and the Monsoons are 10ohm! I think that my amp does the crossover stuff (or whatever it's call) and the Monsoon doesn't.
Sorry, completely wrong. 10-ohm speakers were only used in GM's base audio system with "extended range" (their term not mine) speakers. And the Monsoon amp does all the signal filtering except for the tweeters in a Firebird setup which have inline high-pass filters because they are powered by the head unit rather than the amp.

I suggest you read the Monsoon FAQ sticky for more information.
__________________
White 2000 Trans Am (sold)
White 2011 Mustang Convertible

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
WhiteBird00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
BlackBirds's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 24
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 315
Default

Thanks guys, and thanks for the offer Kee, but I think I'm just gonna order some Monsoon replacements from the dealership, they told me $50 per speaker and I only need 3 of them. I'll check out that Monsoon FAQ also.

Why did GM give the Camaro and Firebird different amps / speakers as far as ohms?
__________________

2002 Trans Am WS6
1999 Trans Am WS6
1999 Firebird Y87/W68
BlackBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Ungrounded Director
Garage is empty, add now
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirds View Post
Why did GM give the Camaro and Firebird different amps / speakers as far as ohms?
The Firebird is GM's "upscale" version of the pony car compared to the Camaro. The Firebird Monsoon system sounds a little better than the Camaro (not that either one is audiophile quality) partly because of the separate tweeters and extra bass power from the DVC subs. The Firebird version has dual voice coil 4-ohm sail panel subs that provide twice the power handling of an equivalent single voice coil speaker. To keep things relatively competitive, the Camaro version has single voice coil 2-ohm sail panel subs. In essence, this also doubles power handling over an equivalent SVC 4-ohm speaker but DVC speakers are somewhat more effective at using that power so the Firebird version seems to have better bass.

The Firebird amp uses four of its eight channels to power the DVC subs in both sail panels so all the tweeters are run directly from the head unit. There are only eight speaker elements in a Camaro so all of them run off the eight channel amp.
__________________
White 2000 Trans Am (sold)
White 2011 Mustang Convertible

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!
WhiteBird00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Registered User
1997 Pontiac Firebird
 
TomTom4049's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 12
Default

I bought a 97 Firebird Formula last week and it too had three bad speakers in it's Monsoon system. Let me say I'm happy with the system. It has a warm tonal quality very similar to Marantz home receivers of the 70's (a darn good thing).

In my case both the subs had bad foam surrounds that are supposed to evenly center the cone so the voice coil doesn't rub and make an awful noise. I never much cared for foam surrounds to begin with and when I replace a driver I prefer to use one with a rubber surround instead or at the very least a "treated cloth" surround since they last a very long time. I took a chance and ordered a couple of Pyle PLPW6D 4 ohm dual voice coil subs from OnlineCarStereo at a very reasonable price. They arrived today and I hurried home to unsolder the wires from the original Delco drivers then moved them to the new Pyle's and soldered them on, being careful to observe polarity. I didn't use the paper backer rings and instead used a one sticky side black foam tape cut into 4 sections situated between the mounting screw holes on back of the driver baskets. They fit pretty nicely and sound terrific.

I also replaced a scratchy rear midrange speaker with a identical Delco I got off eBay fairly cheap and it works just fine. The only restoration left to do is someone has changed out the door speakers (probably using 4 ohm units but they need to be 2 ohm) and worse yet they cut the tweeter wires leaving them disconnected. I searched and found some JBL 2 ohm speakers that I think will work. Also saw some Infinity's but read somewhere those don't fit well so I poo-pooed those. I ordered the JBL's and on those I'll probably clip the JBL tweeters loose and wire the Delco door tweeters back in properly. Even with the wrong door speakers my system once again sounds great.

I prefer the look of a factory system and fortunately this system has a very nice sound.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* NEW SECTION TO THIS POST *

Just replaced the door speakers in my 97 Formula and they sound fantastic. A previous owner had replaced the factory Delco's with Infinity's (the ones with a rubber surround, a white-ish non-paper cone and swivel tweeter). I didn't know what was in there, just knew their volume lagged behind the rest of the system sounding like half-volume. I ordered a set of JBL GTO628 speakers. Oddly Infinity and JBL are both owned by Harmon (A.K.A. Harmon-Kardon). Both were similar in design though the JBL's include a bass inductor the Infinity's lack. The tweeter wiring was super easy to disconnect from the crossover capacitor so I could easily increase their length about 10 inches with more red & black wire. These I connected into the factory tweeter wiring on the door in parallel with but before the factory crossover. I reconnected the factory Delco tweeters to their original crossovers. I can honestly say it is now a 12 speaker system.

I angled the new JBL tweeters back towards the passengers and left their push-button level switch in the out position for no attenuation (no drop in volume). In retrospect I might should have moved the JBL crossover caps from the mids where they are now connected to nothing and put them inline right where I tapped into the door tweeter wiring (in series with the red JBL tweeter wire). I may go back in and do that later on. The Infinity's may be similar but the JBL's sound a lot better.
Their box is marked confusingly. On the side panel they say 2 ohms and the front of the box says 4 ohm inside an icon of a head unit. This means they can be used with a system that normally has 4 ohm speakers. They actually measured 2.4 ohms.

I'm happy to report the balance between the front and rear speakers is now in total harmony. The highs are sweet and lovely and I can hear the mids perfectly.

Last edited by TomTom4049; 05-11-2014 at 05:55 AM..
TomTom4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Registered User
1997 Pontiac Firebird
 
TomTom4049's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBirds View Post
Thanks guys, and thanks for the offer Kee, but I think I'm just gonna order some Monsoon replacements from the dealership, they told me $50 per speaker and I only need 3 of them. I'll check out that Monsoon FAQ also.

Why did GM give the Camaro and Firebird different amps / speakers as far as ohms?
Probably artistic freedom for the most part. Interior styling had a good bit to play in the mix. GM only handed them the head unit saying, "This is what we have for you to use". The rest of the system was open for individual interpretation. Pontiac got a 7 band graphic EQ which Chevy didn't get. Chevy did get speed sensitive volume adjustment which Pontiac didn't get. Viva la differaunce.
TomTom4049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
TECH Enthusiast
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
 
M4N14C's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom4049 View Post
Probably artistic freedom for the most part. Interior styling had a good bit to play in the mix. GM only handed them the head unit saying, "This is what we have for you to use". The rest of the system was open for individual interpretation. Pontiac got a 7 band graphic EQ which Chevy didn't get. Chevy did get speed sensitive volume adjustment which Pontiac didn't get. Viva la differaunce.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
'99 M6 WS6

SLP Lid | Sub-Frame Connectors | NGK | MSD | MGW Shifter| JAAM Ram Air | Brakemotive Drilled & Slotted Rotors | Monster Level 3 Clutch w/18lb Flywheel | Tick Master Cylinder
M4N14C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
TECH Regular
1999 Chevrolet Camaro
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leesburg VA
Posts: 419
Default

^ Haha, I love it!
__________________
ssjason232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
TECH Fanatic
1994 Chevrolet Caprice
My Garage
 
slowpoke96z28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: May 2005
Location: cedar hill, tx
Posts: 1,939
Send a message via AIM to slowpoke96z28 Send a message via Yahoo to slowpoke96z28 Send a message via Skype™ to slowpoke96z28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4N14C View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
people flame you for starting new posts on an already discussed topic, then others flame you for using search and posting on an already open thread. you cant win around here...
slowpoke96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
rwb
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
rwb's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 569
Default

Arise from your grave and shine upon all who have forgotten you.
The dead topics arise again. You will be scorned around here.
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #15
Ungrounded Director
Garage is empty, add now
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom4049 View Post
Their box is marked confusingly. On the side panel they say 2 ohms and the front of the box says 4 ohm inside an icon of a head unit. This means they can be used with a system that normally has 4 ohm speakers. They actually measured 2.4 ohms.

I'm happy to report the balance between the front and rear speakers is now in total harmony. The highs are sweet and lovely and I can hear the mids perfectly.
Impedance is not the same as resistance so you can't just measure a speaker's impedance with an ohmmeter or multimeter. Impedance is for AC circuits and will vary with frequency which is why speakers are rated with a "nominal" impedance. Your measured 2.4 ohms is essentially meaningless. In fact, some types of speakers will have a nominal impedance that is nearly twice the DC resistance measured across the terminals. So a speaker with 2.4 ohms measured DC resistance could just as easily be a 4-ohm speaker as 2-ohm depending on its design and impedance curve.

But even more to the point is the fact that speaker impedance is not as important as so many people seem to think it is. You can always use a higher impedance speaker without causing any problems for an amp (whether it is an external amp or built in to the head unit). The reverse is not true - you can't use 2-ohm speakers with an amp that is only 4-ohm stable. And doubling impedance DOES NOT cut volume in half. All else being equal, switching from a 2-ohm speaker to a 4-ohm speaker cuts power in half but only cuts volume by 3dB or about one click of the volume ****. You have to cut power by a factor of 10 to reduce volume by half. And that's assuming everything else is equal. If you get a replacement 4-ohm speaker that is at least 3dB more sensitive (efficient) than the 2-ohm it is replacing then there will be NO loss of volume.

I'm glad your system turned out the way you wanted but I just wish people would stop fixating on speaker impedance.

BTW, where do you get 12 speakers? The Monsoon system is 10 speakers in a Firebird (8 speakers in a Camaro)... door mids, door tweeters, sail panel subs, hatch mids and hatch tweeters (Camaro doesn't have hatch tweeters).
__________________
White 2000 Trans Am (sold)
White 2011 Mustang Convertible

Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-12-2014 at 07:53 AM..
WhiteBird00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
Registered User
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom4049 View Post
I bought a 97 Firebird Formula last week and it too had three bad speakers in it's Monsoon system. Let me say I'm happy with the system. It has a warm tonal quality very similar to Marantz home receivers of the 70's (a darn good thing).

In my case both the subs had bad foam surrounds that are supposed to evenly center the cone so the voice coil doesn't rub and make an awful noise. I never much cared for foam surrounds to begin with and when I replace a driver I prefer to use one with a rubber surround instead or at the very least a "treated cloth" surround since they last a very long time. I took a chance and ordered a couple of Pyle PLPW6D 4 ohm dual voice coil subs from OnlineCarStereo at a very reasonable price. They arrived today and I hurried home to unsolder the wires from the original Delco drivers then moved them to the new Pyle's and soldered them on, being careful to observe polarity. I didn't use the paper backer rings and instead used a one sticky side black foam tape cut into 4 sections situated between the mounting screw holes on back of the driver baskets. They fit pretty nicely and sound terrific.

I also replaced a scratchy rear midrange speaker with a identical Delco I got off eBay fairly cheap and it works just fine. The only restoration left to do is someone has changed out the door speakers (probably using 4 ohm units but they need to be 2 ohm) and worse yet they cut the tweeter wires leaving them disconnected. I searched and found some JBL 2 ohm speakers that I think will work. Also saw some Infinity's but read somewhere those don't fit well so I poo-pooed those. I ordered the JBL's and on those I'll probably clip the JBL tweeters loose and wire the Delco door tweeters back in properly. Even with the wrong door speakers my system once again sounds great.

I prefer the look of a factory system and fortunately this system has a very nice sound.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* NEW SECTION TO THIS POST *

Just replaced the door speakers in my 97 Formula and they sound fantastic. A previous owner had replaced the factory Delco's with Infinity's (the ones with a rubber surround, a white-ish non-paper cone and swivel tweeter). I didn't know what was in there, just knew their volume lagged behind the rest of the system sounding like half-volume. I ordered a set of JBL GTO628 speakers. Oddly Infinity and JBL are both owned by Harmon (A.K.A. Harmon-Kardon). Both were similar in design though the JBL's include a bass inductor the Infinity's lack. The tweeter wiring was super easy to disconnect from the crossover capacitor so I could easily increase their length about 10 inches with more red & black wire. These I connected into the factory tweeter wiring on the door in parallel with but before the factory crossover. I reconnected the factory Delco tweeters to their original crossovers. I can honestly say it is now a 12 speaker system.

I angled the new JBL tweeters back towards the passengers and left their push-button level switch in the out position for no attenuation (no drop in volume). In retrospect I might should have moved the JBL crossover caps from the mids where they are now connected to nothing and put them inline right where I tapped into the door tweeter wiring (in series with the red JBL tweeter wire). I may go back in and do that later on. The Infinity's may be similar but the JBL's sound a lot better.
Their box is marked confusingly. On the side panel they say 2 ohms and the front of the box says 4 ohm inside an icon of a head unit. This means they can be used with a system that normally has 4 ohm speakers. They actually measured 2.4 ohms.

I'm happy to report the balance between the front and rear speakers is now in total harmony. The highs are sweet and lovely and I can hear the mids perfectly.
I have these JBL's on the way. Since they are rated at 2 ohms, can't they just replace the 2-ohm mid in the front door? I thought the feed to that was full-range from the HU, so I don't see why you would need to mess with the tweeter/crossover on the speaker. (You'd have both the stock and JBL tweeters operating; don't know how that would effect the sound.)
zxryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply

Tags
1999, 99, aftermarket, amp, change, crossover, firebird, gm, head, monsoon, separate, speaker, speakers, system, trans, unit


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monsoon Speaker Replacement (Aftermarket) WHPLASH Stereo & Electronics 10 06-10-2014 07:32 PM
Monsoon wiring question.. spider2076 Stereo & Electronics 8 09-13-2013 01:45 PM
Monsoon replacement Y87bird00 Stereo & Electronics 4 01-20-2013 07:49 PM
NON-monsoon speaker recommendations Daniel Richards Stereo & Electronics 3 10-18-2012 01:33 PM
replacement speakers for monsoon system franny40 Stereo & Electronics 3 07-13-2003 12:56 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details