Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Removed - Wires Cut - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Hef
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Removed - Wires Cut - Need Advice

Hi everyone. First post here. Just bought a 2002 CETA Convertible this week. It's way cool.
Still has the Monsoon HU. The Amp has been cut out of the trunk and all the wires have been cut.
I just ordered the Alpine ida-x100 yesterday. Should be here next week. It's coming with a harness adapter and bezel to mount the HU. I am finding lots of great Info on here....Great Website.

My Questions.
Will I be able to use the current wiring for the speakers? I'm confused as to how this was wired. There is speaker wire coming into the trunk. I guess it was going to the amp. Is it also going up the HU?

I've read a lot about the speaker ohm ratings. Will my current speakers work with this Alpine unit?

I also ordered the Steering Wheel control for the HU. I'm sure there is lots of info up here on this. I will start searching.

If someone could point me to info or just help me here it would really be appreciated. My biggest concern right now, is to know if I need to run speaker wire to the HU.

Thanks
Hef
Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Hef
Teching In

OK, so I got the Monsoon HU out, lots of wires back there. There are 4 sets of what could be speaker wire, not normal looking speaker wire though. Twisted pair kind of wire.

I screwed something up - My Power Locks dont work. Is there a connection going through the stereo for the Power Locks?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Teching In

was there an aftermarket amp or is this the factory amp?? If you have speaker wire running back there, it was an aftermarket amp.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Hef
Teching In

I really dont know, Just bought the car, the amp was gone.

There is a fat Red Monster Cable wire, not sure where it goes, doesnt seem to go all the way to the front. There is a Blue Monster cable wire going front to back. And a Black Monster Cable wire used for Ground in the trunk.

There are 4 normal looking clear speaker wires in the trunk, going up the sides of the car towards the front. They do not go all the way to the HU.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

the previous owner definitely had an aftermarket amp in there. Is the stock amp still there? Is the stock Monsoon amplifier wiring harness still there, can you see the big amplifier connector near the shock sensor, under the passenger side rear trim panel? Are the speakers still stock? If the previous owner had an aftermarket amp then it was either for a subwoofer or for the main speakers, if it was for the main speakers then check to see if they are stock. If the speakers are stock then you do not want to run them from the headunit because some of the speakers are 2ohm and the HU is rated for 4ohm speakers. Just take off the sail panel speaker panels and see what is in there, only way to check the door speakers is to remove the door panels which is kind of a pain. If in the end you do have stock speakers just pick up a monsoon amp, plug it in and be done with it (unless you want to add an aftermarket amp for yourself). Also, find out where those speaker wires are going, maybe you will find out the car is ready for an aftermarket amp, but definitely find out what you have and we can help more.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Launching!

if you dont have the technical knowledge to install an amp or identify where wires are going i wouldnt approach this yourself. You short something out, or miswire something, you can do serious damage to your car. If you have a large gauge monster cable going into the car, they more than likely had an amp in the vehicle. If they had an amp they probably rewired the speakers.

For starters yank ANY AND ALL FUSES in line with the aftermarket wiring. Then the rear carpeting in the trunk, yank the rear seat side covers, yank the door sill plates. Drop the dash cover plates, and id do the doors while your at it. Find where the wires go to. Stray wires cause shorts, fires and headaches later.

Do the speakers work now with the original head unit?

Theres multiple ways to run without the original amp. They could have the speakers wired directly to the head unit, bypassing the amp, and you'll probably get 10 watts out of that per speakers, front and rear seats. You can reuse this when you install your new unit.

They could be using the monsoon head unit to provide an amp you have not located with High power inputs. This is the alternative to using RCA cables.

Your best bet is to go pick up some speaker cable (Decent quality) and rewire the car from scratch if the original system has been compromised. make sure you route the new wires where they will not be crushed, or penetrated by screws as you reattach panels and whatnot. Your front speaker system will need a component set, with a crossover, since your new head unit is a simple 4 channel system. That will allow you to use tweeters and mids out of the front.

Zeeaudio had some decent speakers on sale that would work great for you.

Good luck, get back to me if you need any help
Old 02-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Hef
Teching In

Thanks, looks like I may have learned that lesson real quick today. Been searching all day on BCM problems. Seems I screwed something up removing the old Monsoon HU. The door locks dont work anymore, I can hear the BCM clicking. I cant find if there is a seperate fuse for the door locks. It's not listed anywhere. If I have to run Speaker wire to all the speakers, I will definitly break down and bring it to an Auto Audio shop. I'm already talking to one about this, they did not have the Alpine ida-x100 though. So I ordered it myself, I need to call them to see if they will take over the install.

I guess I should pull one of the speakers, that should be easy enough, and I can see where the wiring goes. I'm betting it goes to the trunk.

The four twisted pair wires I'm seeing at the HU are probably Steering Wheel controls.

The Black Monster Cable wire in the trunk, goes to the HU, and breaks out into 4 (2 Pairs) of RCA connectors. 2 Red - White pairs. They plug into these little adjustable power modules that are hard wired into the Connectors that plug into the Monsoon.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hef
Thanks, looks like I may have learned that lesson real quick today. Been searching all day on BCM problems. Seems I screwed something up removing the old Monsoon HU. The door locks dont work anymore, I can hear the BCM clicking. I cant find if there is a seperate fuse for the door locks. It's not listed anywhere. If I have to run Speaker wire to all the speakers, I will definitly break down and bring it to an Auto Audio shop. I'm already talking to one about this, they did not have the Alpine ida-x100 though. So I ordered it myself, I need to call them to see if they will take over the install.

I guess I should pull one of the speakers, that should be easy enough, and I can see where the wiring goes. I'm betting it goes to the trunk.

The four twisted pair wires I'm seeing at the HU are probably Steering Wheel controls.

The Black Monster Cable wire in the trunk, goes to the HU, and breaks out into 4 (2 Pairs) of RCA connectors. 2 Red - White pairs. They plug into these little adjustable power modules that are hard wired into the Connectors that plug into the Monsoon.
The steering wheel controls use only one wire connected to the main stereo harness.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Hef
Teching In

OK, so what are the 4 twisted pair different colored pairs going to the front HU.

BTW, I fixed my door locks. It was a blown fuse.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

speaker wires? Check to see if those wires go to the speakers and are the hatch speakers hooked up?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hef

The power lock fuse is labeled under power accessory if I remember right. Woops just say the reply where you said you fixed them...good deal