Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Good with fiberglass? Let's talk..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good with fiberglass? Let's talk..

Well, in the spirit of being a little creative and different, I am looking for someone who is good with fiberglass. My tired 1995 A4 console is screaming at me. I would like to fiberglass over my crummy console lid (no more lid). I would also like my mounting points re-inforced. Once everything has been nicely fiberglassed over, it will be taken to my local upholstry shop. I am told that the more advanced audio installers, are a good place to search. Input anyone?

The fiberglass work doesn't even have to look "pretty". As long as it's solid, the lines are straight and everything looks even, I will be happy. I intend to take the center console to my upholstery shop and have then match the upholstry work to my seats.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Restricted User

if you fiberglass over the lid, so that there is no more lid and you will not be able to open it , then how will you mount it ? the mounting points in the rear of the console are inside the storage compartment.

What is your end goal ? Fiberglass may not be what you are looking for. It is also very difficult, if not impossible to get fiberglass to stick to the poly plastic used for the center console. The only plastic I've had any decent results with fiberglass sticking to is abs, and even that is touch.

I never fiberglass over parts, but rather, use the part as a master to take a mold from, to make a complete fiberglass replica, and then work with that.

Also, vinyl shows every imperfection with the exception of pin holes. So you need 95% of the prep work you'd need as if you were going to paint it. And dips, bumps, or wavyness will easily show through the upholstry.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ x2. You said everything I was going to.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah.. I'm not getting the feedback that I would have liked to hear.. Darn. I had big plans.. LOL. Oh well, back to the drawing board!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Restricted User

what are your plans ? there may be another way to accomplish what you want.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am good at fabricating things (I'm an ex stereo installer). However, I never got the opportunity to work with fiberglass. Mainly just the old school stuff: High density fiber board, some particle board, carpet, vinyl, etc.. It's just too much headache and each day I lose, is a day closer to my deadline. So, I am taking another route with my center console.