Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp issues.. i think...please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp issues.. i think...please help

Well today i went through my speakers again thinking that some of them were blown when really i think it might be amp issues. I took out both of the hatch speakers and tested them and they both work, however when there in the car only the drivers side works and nothing for the passenger. Now for the front 2 only the drivers side works and the passenger side only outputs tweeter. I am by no means electrically smart so i was told by a stereo shop employee it could be the amp. So i took out the amp today and when i unplugged the harness there was this neon yellow slime all over between the connection. PLEASE HELP i dont know what to do here. the middle 2 i haven't even gotten too cause there are no speakers in the sail panels...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Found out that the front 2 speakers are Boston acoustics and there not Component speakers so I'm looking to sell them if anyone wants then, unless there's a way to cut and splice the wires that run to the tweeter?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You didn't say but I would be willing to bet that there is an aftermarket head unit installed by a previous owner. I would also guess that the source of your problem is a butchered wiring job behind the head unit. The right door problem is caused by wiring the coaxial speakers to the original tweeter wires (there are two pairs of wires in each door - mids and tweeters).

The factory amp powers all eight speakers in a Camaro and it would be unusual for just the left channels to be experiencing a problem. It's far more likely that there's a problem with the input signal on the left side or that the speaker wiring is damaged.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You didn't say but I would be willing to bet that there is an aftermarket head unit installed by a previous owner. I would also guess that the source of your problem is a butchered wiring job behind the head unit. The right door problem is caused by wiring the coaxial speakers to the original tweeter wires (there are two pairs of wires in each door - mids and tweeters).

The factory amp powers all eight speakers in a Camaro and it would be unusual for just the left channels to be experiencing a problem. It's far more likely that there's a problem with the input signal on the left side or that the speaker wiring is damaged.
Its actually the stock monsoon head unit and all the stock factory wires.