Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

fog light switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light switch

Does anybody have the pin layout for the fog light switch? I want to use this switch for something but i need to find which pins are what? TIA
Old 11-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

The Camaro and Firebird switches have different pin outs but use the same wire colors. If you have an existing factory fog light switch then you can figure out which pin to use by looking at the wire colors on it.

Brown: +12V from the headlight switch - use this to feed power into the switch from whatever source.
Yellow: switched output to fog light relay - use this to power your accessory or control a relay that powers the accessory.
Gray: switch illumination - this should be connected to the dash light power to illuminate the switch when your lights are on.
Purple: "On" indicator lamp - this can be connected to the yellow wire so that the indicator lights when the switch is on.
Black: ground - this is used to provide ground for the "on" indicator and the switch illumination.

If you don't have an existing fog light switch, let me know and I'll try to draw a pin-out diagram for you.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Thanks!! I got it
Old 04-11-2006, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

will you get power from the brown 12volt wire when your headlights are off? Im guessing not.

Last edited by FireSilverLullaby; 04-11-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

colors aren't always the same for the wires.

Pin A and Pin E are basically the on/off switch
Pin F will give you LED power. . .

Hope it helps.

Duff
Old 04-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The wire colors are the same for the fog light switches on all 98-02 f-bodies. The brown wire is hot only when the headlights or parking lights are on. This is true whether the headlight switch is on or the automatic headlights are on.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Can you help w/ HVAC and instrument panel lighting problem?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 98z2006
Can you help w/ HVAC and instrument panel lighting problem?
Perhaps...what kind of problem?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay, so my fog light switch crapped out and I bought an illuminating rocker style switch to replace it. So if I connect the yellow and purple together and the gray and brown together will it work? Or does the gray need to go elsewhere?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Perhaps...what kind of problem?
Whitebird00....I have a question for you...I have installed Hella Fogs in my car and want to use the stk style switches( its an 87 TA GTA) Instead on using the 3 prong switch that came with my kit, can I use a switch like the one posted.

original switch with kit

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINT7
Okay, so my fog light switch crapped out and I bought an illuminating rocker style switch to replace it. So if I connect the yellow and purple together and the gray and brown together will it work? Or does the gray need to go elsewhere?
No. Your illuminating rocker switch is not designed to illuminate with the dash lights like a factory switch - it only illuminates when the switch is on.

Assuming you have a Firebird (a Camaro doesn't have a purple wire), connect the brown wire to the IN (12V+) pin, the yellow wire to the OUT (Accy) pin, and the black wire to the GND pin on your rocker switch. Tape up both the gray and purple wires so they don't accidentally short out.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by mrrman
Whitebird00....I have a question for you...I have installed Hella Fogs in my car and want to use the stk style switches( its an 87 TA GTA) Instead on using the 3 prong switch that came with my kit, can I use a switch like the one posted.
It's possible but I have no idea how those switches are wired internally. Do you have a multimeter that you could use to test continuity? If so, make a diagram of the connecting pins on the back of the switch module then test continuity between the various pins with each of the switch in both the on and off positions and make a list of all the combinations. Post the list and I can help you with which pins to use for your fog lights.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It's possible but I have no idea how those switches are wired internally. Do you have a multimeter that you could use to test continuity? If so, make a diagram of the connecting pins on the back of the switch module then test continuity between the various pins with each of the switch in both the on and off positions and make a list of all the combinations. Post the list and I can help you with which pins to use for your fog lights.
Okay thanks...it may be a week since I will be going out of town

Quick Reply: fog light switch