Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blinker/drl issue! help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Question blinker/drl issue! help please

ok, so i have a problem with my passenger side front blinker and drl.

ok, so during the day without the drl on; the pass blinker doesn't work, but only on the front, and on the dash the arrow is much dimmer than the other.
now, during night with the drl on; the pass front blinker still does not work, but the blinker stays lit in both filaments, like the blinker is lighting up, but not blinking, and on the dash though, the arrow for that side is not lighting up at all.

both left and right back blinkers and brake lights work fine along with the drivers side front drl/blinker, and both rear side maker lights work, but not the passenger side front blinker/drl.

I've checked the bulbs, and replaced both the pass side front blinker bulb and drl bulb, and it has not fixed anything.

the only thing i have not checked to see if they work are the rear 3rd brake light.

help?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
ok, so i have a problem with my passenger side front blinker and drl.

ok, so during the day without the drl on; the pass blinker doesn't work, but only on the front, and on the dash the arrow is much dimmer than the other.
now, during night with the drl on; the pass front blinker still does not work, but the blinker stays lit in both filaments, like the blinker is lighting up, but not blinking, and on the dash though, the arrow for that side is not lighting up at all.

both left and right back blinkers and brake lights work fine along with the drivers side front drl/blinker, and both rear side maker lights work, but not the passenger side front blinker/drl.

I've checked the bulbs, and replaced both the pass side front blinker bulb and drl bulb, and it has not fixed anything.

the only thing i have not checked to see if they work are the rear 3rd brake light.

help?
I'm a little confused about what the problem is exactly. You say "during the day without the drl on". DRL means Daytime Running Lights. Those are the amber running lights on the front of the car. They are designed to be on ONLY during the day... anytime the car is running with the headlights off after the parking brake is released.

The DRLs and the turn signals are the SAME bulb. How could you replace them as separate bulbs?

Perhaps you could clarify which bulbs you're referirng to. If it is the turn signal/DRL bulb then the first thing to check is corrosion in the socket. The front lamp housings tend to collect water and it causes serious corrosion in the sockets.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
scj
TECH Addict

the socket is brand new... i mean the front marker not drl, sorry.

so the front marker and blinker bulb.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, check the wiring on your new socket. It sounds like the ground wire isn't connected properly. When dual filament bulbs like the running/turn signal/DRL bulb on the front don't have a good ground, current will backfeed from one filament through the other. This causes all kinds of weird lighting symptoms such as dim illumination and going dark when you turn them both on.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
scj
TECH Addict

so just check the wires and contacts inside the new socket?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, but pay special attention to the ground wire (black). The blue wire carries power for turn signal/DRL and the brown wire carries power for the parking/running lights.