Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with front door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with front door speakers

I just bought a 1999 Z28 with monsoon cd player and I thought the front door speakers were blown but, when I took the door panel off I could see that someone had already replaced them with a cheap paper cone speaker. They took the two sets of speaker wires from the old speaker and wired them together and attached them to the new one. Is that what is causing all the scratching sounds?

Last edited by sheldonrh2010; 04-22-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So like the positive and the negative are touching eachother? That's what it sounds like your trying to say. If so, then yes, that is your problem. Make sure there is only one wire per connector on the speaker...doesnt matter which side gets negative and which gets positive..itll play fine both ways....hope this helps
Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 PM

Default Thank you for the reply.

That is what I was trying to say. I pulled the front door speakers out and it did look like the wires were pos to neg so I switched them and I am still getting that scrathing noise. I still have the two wires twisted together on each door speaker. I will try and cap off one set and see what happens. Could I be getting feedback from having the two wires together even though they are pos to pos and neg to neg? I hope this did not screw that chanel of the amp up.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya just use one set...cuz even if you split em apart you could still have positve from one wire and negative from the other and the same thing on the other side of the speaker .....that makes the symptoms your having...scraching noise or no noise at all in some cases. The reason for the scratching noise is the speaker is trying to go up and down simultaneously since both wires are hooked up trying to make it go opposite ways

The speaker has a magnet and a a voice coil which is also a magnet when electricity is applied to it. Once electricty is applied it, it gets a polarity and goes one way or another. When you have a negative wire and a positive wire on the same side as well as the other side the act againt eachother trying to give it opposite polarities..thus the scratching noise

...im assuming the reason for the scratching noise is the one set of wires is for a tweeter so its not as powerful and the other set is for the actual speaker so it overpowers the other set but still sounds scratchy since the tweeter wires are present...make sense? Idk too much about the monsoon but i'm pretty good with stereos.

Sorry for the amazingly long post but I hope this helps...good luck
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM

Default problem solved

That was the problem. I just capped off the tweeter wires. Then I replaced the front and rear speakers with best buy insignia speakers and the back seat subs with these boss big *** magnet heavy 6.5 subs I got new at the local flea market and it rocks out hard, for what it is. Stock hu and amp. Cost of $150 total.

It does need that tweeter in front though. It sounds a little heavy in the rear. I will use thoes capped off wires later.

Last edited by sheldonrh2010; 04-22-2010 at 10:37 AM.