Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Head Unit and Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Head Unit and Steering Wheel Controls

Hey guys!

To start: I have a 2000 Pontiac Firebird, 3.8L V6.

I've never posted before, but I've been searching the forums obsessively for the past month as I've been on a kick to fix all those silly problems I've gotten used to over the years. I had the good old radio/windows spontaneous death issue. I took out the BCM and resoldered today, and no problems so far, thanks to you guys! Shops had told me my car was possessed for 2 years, and then one good google search and I had my answer. You all rock

ANYWAY, now I'm working on the E20 problem in the Monsoon by replacing the head unit. Everything is going great with the install so far, but I'm concerned about preserving the steering wheel controls. I bought a Pioneer DEH-P6200BT. It has a wired remote port, so I believe the part I need is the PAC SWI-PS adapter. Is this correct?

If so, I'm a little worried that the PAC site says the only Firebird the SWI products are compatible with is the 1989 model. link: http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogramming/allinfo.asp What's that all about? Is that nonsense?

Lastly, does anyone have any tips for installing this adapter? Is it pretty straight forward? I'm pretty new to this whole "doing it myself" realm of car-ownership (and totally loving it), and could use any advice I can get.

Thank you so much for your time, and sorry about the long question!

Jess

Last edited by FickleFirebird; 04-25-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have the PAC SWI-PS and it works fine. I'm not the one that programmed it so I can't give you any tips there.

Others also have the PAC SWI-PS without any problems.

BTW, there is a Stereo & Electronics section which would be more helpful for these types of questions.