Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers stop working randomly

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speakers stop working randomly

Well I think I posted in here a few months back about just going to two door speakers, and deleting the rear Bose speaker. I only have the rear Bose speaker and two door speakers anyway. Some speaker and deck recommendations had been made but I can't find that thread.

Anyway I was poking around at things last weekend, here is what I found:

All the wiring seems intact, but what is that extra black box? I've never seen one of those before behind a CD player. Is that there to operate the Bose speaker properly or something? All the wiring looks intact, so I'm guessing either that box is malfunctioning, the old Aiwa deck is on its way out, or its the wiring to the speakers themselves.

I'm still surprised I can't find my old thread, maybe I posted it somewhere else when I was having these thoughts of replacing everything anyway.

Anyone know what the black box is about?

While here can anyone recommend an affordable deck and door speakers that will sound good? I realize they probably won't be as deep sounding as the Bose speaker, but so long as they have enough low to them that my music doesn't sound completely flat I don't care.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The "black box" is a Line Out Converter (LOC) which is designed to reduce the speaker-level output of an aftermarket head unit to the pre-amp signal level required by the individual amps attached to each of the Bose speakers.