Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My Lesson for buying used?? Need Troubleshooting help....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Lesson for buying used?? Need Troubleshooting help....

Used Kicker zx400.1 Seller did mention something about clipping (sigh)
Used JBL 4ohm DVC 350W RMS 10" sub
Factory Monsoon deck 01 z.

SO.. I wired everything up and the sub sounds like crap. Dont laugh, but I do just have it sitting in a make do box for now (picking up my stealth box tomorrow) made out of a cardboard box. The sub just doesn't even move. If I crank the gain more than 10% from 0 it clips. the red light pops on then it goes back to green and clips again...

I have the input to the amp coming from the right side midrange woofer. Is this a possible problem? i just cut the wires and tied the leads from the line converter to these. SHould I have spliced into the output wires right off the deck? I do have the dial set to max on the convertor.

After a few seconds I saw a light whiff of smoke coming from the Sub too.. uh ohh

the sub was BARELY moving at all when I was trying it. I couldnt even turn the gain up more than 10% without clipping. if I turned it down to 5% (like barely up from 0) it would clip when I moved the bass boost ****.

My concerns now are really about the input converter wether it is wired right. I have rcas from there going to the amp.

Wiring is decent quality 8guage for power and ground. The amp is sitting in the trunk floor and the ground is about 16 inches away to the bolt that holds the baby seat ring. i sanded the paint to get the metal out for that.

On the way home I just unplugged the fuses and rcas and the monsoon system sounded pretty nice. I think I was mistaking any bass I thought the sub was making. I don't think I even got anything out of it even at the lowest volumes.

ANy ideas or thoughts?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Forgot to mention the speaker was wired accordng to some diagrams pulled off the web. I ran the + from the amp to the + on the speaker and then a wire from that + to the other coil +. Then the same for the - side.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

I was reading the sticky posted about the monsoon and saw that the rear most speakers in the camaro coupe are full range. I may as well splice into those and let the amp do the x-over work. OR I saw the picture in the sticky that shows the monsoon amp is right there behind the spare tire. i may just locate the input 'before' the monsoon amp and spline in there for the line level converter.

Besides that I'll drive over to the stereo guy who sold me the install kit and stuff (battery terminal and lin level converter. maybe he can take a quick look at the install or test the sub or amp.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
I have the input to the amp coming from the right side midrange woofer. Is this a possible problem? i just cut the wires and tied the leads from the line converter to these. SHould I have spliced into the output wires right off the deck? I do have the dial set to max on the convertor.
The subwoofer is going to dedicated to low end frequency, the signal from the midrange is going to at the very highest frequency the sub would be able to produce. So sure you're feeding it a working signal, but if you have a cross-over then that is going to cut 98% of the signal (maybe more?) that would be reaching the sub, so only when that frequency is being put out would the sub move. This would be a symptom of maxing the vol./gain out and still having barely any audio come from the sub.
Get a dedicated sub line, you should notice a more than DRAMATIC improvement.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

So you think the input I'm getting spliced from the stock woofer is a bad idea? I'm heading out to splice an out put from the hu before the monsoon amp. I just need to figure out what colors the wires are
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"i have the input of the amp coming from the right side midrange woofer."

what in the hell does that mean?

are you using a stock cd player? wiring amps is pretty easy. RCA patch cable from the head unit to the amp. power/ground/+12v lead and wire the speaker. if you aren't getting any noise and constant clipping, something is bad.

gain shouldn't exceed about 75% of the max or else it will cause clipping. 10% is drastic, though. sounds to me you've got a bad amp, but i'm still confused on what you are doing. cardboard box doesn't cut it. get a real box and bolt it in well with no holes in it and then see how you fair. if a sub isn't enclosed properly it is going to appear to not be doing much at all, both by movement and sound displacement.