Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

battery unpluged for 6 months, alarm issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy battery unpluged for 6 months, alarm issues

Hi All,

I spend the whole winter giving my '98 WS6 a new skin (paint). Now I re-plugged my battery and all seems fine, except for the Alarm/Door lock. When I press on lock/unlock pn the remote, the front lights go up and down again. It didn't do that before, usually just the flashers and fog lights would flash.... any suugestions on how it can be like before.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really don't know if this will fix your issue but it's worth a shot.

These steps reset the PCM
1. Turn key to the "on" position but don't start car
2. Pull the PCM BAT and PCM IGN fuses in engine compartment
3. Wait approximately 5 minutes
4. Turn ignition off
5. Replace fuses
6. Start the car
Old 05-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The problem has nothing to do with the PCM (the headlight door motors aren't even connected to the PCM). Those are classic symptoms of stripped headlight motor gears. You probably hear a grinding noise from one or both headlights when you turn them on or off.

There are a few options to fix the problem. You can replace the headlight door motors (GM's solution but very expensive), replace the stripped plastic gears with metal ones (much less expensive but more work), or rotate the stripped gears so that they unused side engages (basically free but somewhat temporary and the same amount of work as replacing with metal gears).
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

He didn't mention hearing the common "jackhammer" noise made by a stripped headlight motor gear. Sometimes when I disconnect/reconnect my battery, my headlights will go up and down once. However, since it only happens the one time, it's a non-issue for me.

Like I said, it sounded like an electrical issue, so I'm not sure if the PCM reset would help or not.

If you do hear the "jackhammer" noise, then WhiteBird00 is absolutely right, your headlight motor is stripped and will need to be replaced. I replaced my passenger side headlight motor gear last year.

Out of the three options give by WhiteBird00, I don't believe that GM sells the plastic gear separately. You may have to buy the gear+housing. I tried the rotate method and it did not work for me. Your best bet is to buy the metal gear and swap it out (I would highly recommend buying two metal gears so you have an extra when the other plastic gear goes out on you).

Link to steel gear information.

Last edited by TruBloodTransAm; 05-25-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks to both of you, as always LS1TECH came through. Now the issue is that after I rotated the plastique gear, light works fine but now 1 is open and 1 is closed, if I play with the light switch, it does the opposite. I tried unplugging 1 of them but nothing. Now I am thinkingof reversing the connection......
Old 05-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You should be able to manually lower the one side (there is a **** for doing this) so that both sides start out in sync.