Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

BCM Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM Problems

Recently my Firebird will not honk (most of the time) when I lock or unlock the car with the remote. Radio won't turn off (most of he time) when I exit the car? If the door is open the overhead lights flash once every 10 sec maybe. I had a completely manual Firebird and have made it into a completely power vehicle, with power windows, door locks, mirrors the works, which required a new BCM. Everything was working fine for 8 months. But now these things started happening. Any clues? Thanks

Last edited by pemberton; 06-03-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Launching!

bumpbump
Old 06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Do any body know what could cause this? I think its the BCM but it sounds like something is just loose.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it matter which door you open? Might be a sticky door switch.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Nah thats what I thought but I does it with both the driver and passenger. Its pretty annoying at night time especially cause I have no interior lights.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Okay here we go. I was having intermittent electrical problems and I too narrowed it down to the BCM. Long story short my interior lights/gauges would not work and at night everything would pulse if I allowed my headlights to be turned on by the automatic function. I had to leave the E-brake up one click and turn the headlights on manually. I still had no gauge lights, but I could at least drive without everything pulsing and blinking rapidly, lol. I could not use anything electric in the car without it freaking out and going into posessed/pulse mode windows, radio, hvac, etc. I could not lock my car with the remote or else my cars lights would blink/pulse and the horn would honk randomly. I would lock it manually. I ordered a new BCM from gmpartsdirect.com slapped it in and guess what? I still had the exact same damn problem, I was pissed. I finally gave up and took it in to the dealership my step-dad sells cars at. 15 minutes later the guy working on my car called me over and showed me the problem. The main ground for the BCM/interior **** was loose. It's a bolt that you slide the ground wires over and a nut tightens everything down. It was loose because whoever put the system in back in the day didn't put the wires for the stereo into connectors with a loop in them to slide over the ground bolt, they just kind of stuck the wires in there and the nut eventually worked itself loose. I ended up paying $25, service guy hooked me up big time. If I would have known it would be that cheap I would have taken it in there in the first place, although I wanted to find and fix the problem myself. The ground bolt is located by the hood pop latch under the plastic cover that runs along the floor between the driver seat and the door. Take out the four screws and the cover comes right off. Check the ground first and if everything is tight then it is most likely your BCM that is messed up. You can either fix it yourself by taking it out, opening it up and resoldering the the "T" solders of the circuit board, they tend to get hairline cracks in them over time. You can also order brand new, I found gmpartsdirect.com to be the cheapest, I think $185 shipped. There are two different part numbers for BCM's one for cars with remote lock and the other for cars without. There is no specific BCM for certain VATS numbers. If this doesn't help you out I don't know what the hell will. Long story short, lol, I wrote a damn novel.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Wow thats the longest post I've seen. Thanks I will try that this weekend.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Update, ended up being the BCM. Just take it out and reheat and add solder to the spot in the shape of a T. Thats it
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Launching!

i need to try that thanks