Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Left side turn signals not flashing... 1994 TA

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Left side turn signals not flashing... 1994 TA

Already tried a search on the topic but I couldn't find any with quite the same problem. My right side turn signals work fine as do the hazard lights, but when I put the left side turn signal on, it usually won't flash. It will every now and then but it's slow and erratic. All the turn signal bulbs on the left side come on as they should but they stay lit and don't flash. I also noticed that with the parking lights turned on the middle bulb in the left taillight goes out when the left turn signal is on.

Any idea where the problem might lie? I was tempted to think that the flasher unit itself is weak or going out but it works fine when the right turn signal or hazard lights are on, though it does flash much faster on the hazard lights than the turn signal. I also tried reversing the bulb in the front amber housing, but the problem is still there. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this happen to me. My problem was a new turn signal light switch. After i changed that everything including the left brake light worked normally and flashed even better in terms of speed. So i say you do the signal switch.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firebirdmo
Just had this happen to me. My problem was a new turn signal light switch. After i changed that everything including the left brake light worked normally and flashed even better in terms of speed. So i say you do the signal switch.
You mean the turn signal switch assembly inside the steering column? It looks nearly impossible to reach - how did you get inside the steering column and how much did the new switch cost?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Check the bulb, socket, and wiring at the middle bulb on the left taillight. The fact that it goes out when you have the lights on and use the turn signal indicate that the bright filament in the bulb isn't working. That usually means the bulb itself needs to be replaced but it could also be caused by a loose connection or corroded socket.

DO NOT replace the turn signal switch (at least not yet). It isn't cheap and it's a lot of work. There are several diagnostic tests you can do to determine if the switch is the problem before you go throwing new parts at it.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

+1 it's probably a problem with that rear light
Old 07-24-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Check the bulb, socket, and wiring at the middle bulb on the left taillight. The fact that it goes out when you have the lights on and use the turn signal indicate that the bright filament in the bulb isn't working. That usually means the bulb itself needs to be replaced but it could also be caused by a loose connection or corroded socket.

DO NOT replace the turn signal switch (at least not yet). It isn't cheap and it's a lot of work. There are several diagnostic tests you can do to determine if the switch is the problem before you go throwing new parts at it.
I swapped bulbs with the socket next to it, but there was no change. Both bulbs look fine to me. The socket appears to be fine too, but how do I go about testing it and the wiring?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
You mean the turn signal switch assembly inside the steering column? It looks nearly impossible to reach - how did you get inside the steering column and how much did the new switch cost?
It was about $25 on ebay, and it was a kinda long process. You have to completely remove the steering wheel, but also make sure you remove the airbag from being active. I mean the fuse and airbag switch under the dash. After you remove all that stuff you will need a Lock Plate remover, then use that tool to loosen the lock plate and remove the pin thats on the lock plate. After that the lock plate should come out easly, then you'll have the switch right in front of you. Also there will be a area under your steering wheel where you have to remove the bracket in-order to reach the connection part of the switch. Or just google how to remove the switch. I used the Servicing book when i did it. That problem i was told is very common for our cars, so im almost positive that this new switch would solve your problem.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Save the manuals!

I also noticed that with the parking lights turned on the middle bulb in the left taillight goes out when the left turn signal is on.
So, is this problem fixed yet? You need to pull a certain amount of current for the flasher to work. If one of your bulbs isn't pulling current, it may put you in a situation where the side won't flash.

If your bulb works now, then you just need to replace the flasher.

Your turn switch is perfectly fine.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wssix99
So, is this problem fixed yet? You need to pull a certain amount of current for the flasher to work. If one of your bulbs isn't pulling current, it may put you in a situation where the side won't flash.

If your bulb works now, then you just need to replace the flasher.

Your turn switch is perfectly fine.
The problem is intermittent. The left turn signal worked off and on last night, but it still doesn't work most of the time. I've also noticed it takes more effort to get the signal stalk to click into place when signaling a left turn.

How can I test the wiring? I can't afford to throw parts at it right now.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Not to jack your topic but I am having a similar problem. Passenger side Turn signal/DRL dont work at all. The socket isnt getting any power to it. Could it be a bad module? Any other easy tests I can run because the next step is to check the module which is behind the radio.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Save the manuals!

The problem is intermittent. The left turn signal worked off and on last night, but it still doesn't work most of the time.
Sounds like your flasher is bad. I've gone through 5 and its always one side that gets quirky first, often intermittent with the problem getting worse as the flasher gets hot. As the bulbs age, they develop different resistance and impact the thermal flasher differently.

I've also noticed it takes more effort to get the signal stalk to click into place when signaling a left turn.
Not related. This is a common issue and the turn signal cams just need to be lubricated. It just needs a little white lithium grease where the plastic and metal parts meet in the cramming mechanism. This is a real PITA to do and requires special tools as you need to disassemble the top of the steering column to get to the parts.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by bmoore04
Not to jack your topic but I am having a similar problem. Passenger side Turn signal/DRL dont work at all. The socket isnt getting any power to it. Could it be a bad module? Any other easy tests I can run because the next step is to check the module which is behind the radio.
It is possible that the DRL module is bad but it is much more likely that the problem is corrosion in the socket. The corrosion can get so bad that the contacts actually separate from the wire causing symptoms like you describe.

You can test the DRL module by using a short piece of wire to connect the dark blue wire to the dark blue with white wire in the black connector. This bypasses the DRL module for the right side turn signal. If your signals work with this bypass attached then the module is the source of your problem. If they still don't work then you need to look elsewhere.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like your flasher is bad. I've gone through 5 and its always one side that gets quirky first, often intermittent with the problem getting worse as the flasher gets hot. As the bulbs age, they develop different resistance and impact the thermal flasher differently.
Is there any way of testing the flasher? Where is it located?

Also, does anybody know which wire does what in the middle socket on the left side taillight?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Is there any way of testing the flasher? Where is it located?
Sure, but you'd spend more on equipment to test the thing than the $3-5 it costs to get a new flasher.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There are three wires on the dual-function taillight sockets (the ones that are both running lights and brake/turn signals). There are only two wires on the single function sockets (running lights only). In both cases the wire colors are the same - black is ground and brown is tail/running lights. The brake/turn signal wire is yellow on the left side and dark green on the right side.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Sure, but you'd spend more on equipment to test the thing than the $3-5 it costs to get a new flasher.
I'm guessing it's located somewhere above the driver's side kick panel???
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Save the manuals!

I'm guessing it's located somewhere above the driver's side kick panel???
clipped to the backside of a dash support under the lower IP cover. Turn on the good side and listen for the clicking.

Quick Reply: Left side turn signals not flashing... 1994 TA