Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Body control module location and more problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body control module location and more problems...

First of all my apologies to WhiteBird00, because I ignored (I did nor read it in his signature) his instruction about Please DO NOT send PMs for questions that can be answered in the forums!....sorry...rules are rules...

Hi:
My 97 Transam was flooded by hurricane "Alex" in north of Coahuila, Mexico (120 km far from Eagle Pass, Texas wich is the US borderline town). The water level reaches the globe box. But the radio and A/C works fine!!!.

Anyway, I drained oil +water from the engine, transmision and differencial gear box and replaced several times with clean and new oil in each "system", I had to clean and grease the starter motor. The first time, the engine started strong without hesitations or backfires (Opti and PCM are OK), but I had a strange events after the first engine start: When I tried to turned on again:
SECURITY issues, flashing, ringing and the fasten belt warning lamp turned on and off. I used a dirty key, in the pellet site mainly, so I sprayed electronic cleaner inside the ignition cylinder and I used the brand new spare key. I reprogrammed the Body Control module and the crazy events stoped. Then, no electrical current to the starter motor. I replaced the Theft Deterrent Relay...same condition but the rear hatch relay activated itself when the key is in the run position. An automotive electrical technician uninstalled the hatch relay and connect a wire to ground to be able to start the engine in some of the 4 theft deterrent relay connectors. He told me to seek for the Body control module and clean the connectors or replace it with a new one. To add to this mess, the drivers window downs by itself ( he told me the express down module is faulty too or the switch). The AIR BAG warning lamp is flashing and then stays on all the time.

I know the BCM and the EDM are neighbors some place behind the audio headunit but I don't know where they are exactly located.

I would appreciate any comment, advice from you.

Thanks a lot in advance

Dochidalgo
Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when you pull the head unit out, shine your flash light into the dash, little black box in the back is your BCM. Ive seen pics posted in the section before, but i havent been able to find any yet.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Body Control Module is behind the glove box, not the headunit. It's an awkward angle to get to it but just remove the glove box and you'll see it. I had to get to mine from the pass. foot well.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I had already responded to the PM before seeing this thread so I guess I'll include the same information...

The BCM is mounted to the HVAC duct behind the glovebox:

The Express Down Module is in a plastic pocket near the floor on the transmission hump behind the center console.

Quick Reply: Body control module location and more problems...