Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need a new HU.... Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a new HU.... Need some advice.

I haven't bought a stereo for a car since about 1999 (Same one.. still working , pretty much ) so I know things have changed.

The RCA jacks on the back of my DEH-P6400 are done and it took me going through two mid range amps to figure it out.

Anyway.. .I'm looking for a button volume control, iPod control and XM/Sirius friendly. I've been a Pioneer fan for a while, but the EQ on this head unit is a real headache to deal with. I would also like an EQ that is easy to use. 13 band or so. I will be running two amps off of this. One for lows and one for highs. So prolly 3 RCA outputs.

Can anyone recommend me a head unit that will work for me? I've checked the Pioneer site and looked through the new stuff, but I REALLY don't like **** volume controls.

Thanx in advance.

-=EDIT=-

How much of a hassle would it be to get this big bastard to fit? Says it doesn't fit, but we all know there's ways around all that. I'm not around my car so I can't go out an measure anything. Starting to look into the 7" flip up screens but I don't feel like spending over $500. I know Dual and Jensen are a no-go.

WWW.NOT-A-SPONSOR.ORG.GOV.NET

Last edited by CRAGER; 09-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put a Sony GT700HD in my Camaro. High Def is the way to go for sure. I still use my steering wheel controls so it is Fantastic.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

You can make that work but will have to do some modifications to the factory bezel to get it to work, or if you are not the DIY type there are a few places that sell them pre-made. If you are looking to go double din I have the Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD on sale for $379.99, you get a 5.8" touch screen, vol up/down buttons, DVD/USB/SD/Aux/iPod playback, and later down the line you can upgrade it for Nav as well.
http://www.sparksai.com/Pioneer-AVH-...vhp3200dvd.htm

If you would like to save the trouble of going double din and want to go single din you can do the flip out screens but reliability is usually less than steller. If you can live wth the jog dial volume the Pioneer MVH-P8200BT might be a good choice. At $289.99 these give you a 3" full LCD, with DVD/USB/SD/Aux/iPod playback, and built in bluetooth.
http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/mvhp8200bt.htm
Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Wow.. You have my attention... Been wanting a screen of some sorts, but didn't want to spend $900 for a good flip up.

I'm looking into the Alpines now. They have that IMPRINT technology to tune the radio to the car's acoustics. Crutchfield basically "rents" the Imprint software, processor and mic for $50... As long as you return the $250 kit within 30 days.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 PM
FormerVendor

Here is the Double Din Kit, I knew someone here was carrying them just had to hunt it down. They look great and it would be near impossibe to find a more stock looking piece.
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=100

I know a few people here are using them and I am sure they can chime in as to the fit and finish.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ Wow.. You have my attention... Been wanting a screen of some sorts, but didn't want to spend $900 for a good flip up.

I'm looking into the Alpines now. They have that IMPRINT technology to tune the radio to the car's acoustics. Crutchfield basically "rents" the Imprint software, processor and mic for $50... As long as you return the $250 kit within 30 days.
As far as the imprint stuff goes it is a good system and if you don't feel like making the adjustments it can be helpful, but one thing to keep in mind is music is subjective. What sounds good to you might not to another so these systems don't always produce results people are happy with.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Not trying to hijack the thread but a quick question for Sparks. I notice you carry the Kicker 10CVT652. Have you had anyone put them in the sail speaker locations on the F-bodies. If so, could you comment on fit and sound quality in that location. Thanks

Quick Reply: Need a new HU.... Need some advice.