Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

power antenna prob. with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default power antenna prob. with pics!

Guys I just bought this 2002 z28 camaro and the power antenna did not work. So i bought a rksport power antenna setup to install. When i opened the cover and saw the antenna had a plug hanging from it unpluged, I thought i might have just blown a hundred dollars. There is a black sensor box between the power source and the antenna. The black wire from the radio to the antenna is plugged in but the power wire to the motor is hanging. There is no onther plug to fasten the loose plug coming from the motor. Do i splice some wires and do some soldering? And if so what wires? What is the black sensor for? Here are some pics. Thanks for any answers.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The sensor is the shock sensor for the factory alarm system and has nothing to do with the antenna.

The three wires are orange (constant battery power), pink (power antenna signal from head unit) and black (ground). If the car had a factory power antenna, the wires should be there somewhere. If not, you may have to run your own.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Hi,
the attached should help with your wiring questions.use a test light/volt meter to check circuit. Good luck with your repair........have a blessed day........
Captain JIM
PS: COURTESY CHILTON
Attached Thumbnails power antenna prob. with pics!-radio-wiring-diagram-001.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The Camaro did not come with the wiring provision for the electric antenna. I added one into mine and had to splice it into the wiring harness. I checked the monsoon amp wiring diagram (listed in a sticky at the top of the section) and then tapped the ground and constant power wires from the antenna into the harness. The third wire I ran up to my head unit and added into my stock harness by stripping the end of the wire a little longer, pulling it through the correct pin in the factory adapter (pin #8) and then folding it over. Once the adapter is plugged into the rear of the stereo it stays nice and snug.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys for all of your help.

Quick Reply: power antenna prob. with pics!