Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

disabling auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default disabling auto headlights

i already found the thread for the trick where you remove the dash pad and "trick" the sensor. i tried searching and had difficulty finding anything..

is there any other way to disable the auto headlight feature so they only turn on when i want? thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

yea pull your radio out and get at the black box thats the size of a pack of cigs behind it. solder a piece of wire between the a and b connector on the right connector, a should be black and b doesnt have a wire. put everything back together and grab yourself a beer.

just found the site that i used when i did mine, a lot clearer than my 4am explication.
http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 02-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Yeah, and it is much easier to take apart the DRL module and solder connections than it is to crimp a ScotchLock on the sensor wires.

You're right, the DRL module modification is an elegant solution with no unwanted side effects but shorting the sensor wires is a much faster, easier, and reversible way to do the same thing. I wonder why the OP would be asking about an alternative after already finding the easiest method.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

I just pulled the C2 connector from behind the radio to disable the DRL and auto headlights, only downside is that when you pull the hand brake the dash light won't light up.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

i am worried about removing the dash pad and it breaking on me.. hence why i want another solution.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
I just pulled the C2 connector from behind the radio to disable the DRL and auto headlights, only downside is that when you pull the hand brake the dash light won't light up.
...and if you have a manual transmission, your hatch release won't work. It's always better to make modifications that have no (or minimal) side effects - any other way is lazy.

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
i am worried about removing the dash pad and it breaking on me.. hence why i want another solution.
That is a legitimate concern and I wrote about it in several posts on the subject. However, I've found that even older dash pads will stand up to removal as long as you're careful and pry gently and evenly along the leading edge. A wide flat tool like a putty knife works better than something narrow like a trim tool or screwdriver.

On the other hand, you can also reach the same two sensor wires at the DRL module behind the radio. On a Firebird, both wires are light green with black. On a Camaro, one is light green with black and the other is yellow with black. Shorting them together with a ScotchLock at the DRL module is just as easy as doing it closer to the sensor and still leaves the option to go back to stock by just removing the ScotchLock.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

The easiest way to disable the autolights is to keep your emergency brake up ONE click
When you turn the car on with it up a click the headlights wont turn on unless you manually turn it on. The only annoying thing about it is that your brake light in your gauge cluster wont turn off. you dont really have to worry about warring down your emergency brake becuase one click really doesnt do much
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
...and if you have a manual transmission, your hatch release won't work. It's always better to make modifications that have no (or minimal) side effects - any other way is lazy.

That is a legitimate concern and I wrote about it in several posts on the subject. However, I've found that even older dash pads will stand up to removal as long as you're careful and pry gently and evenly along the leading edge. A wide flat tool like a putty knife works better than something narrow like a trim tool or screwdriver.

On the other hand, you can also reach the same two sensor wires at the DRL module behind the radio. On a Firebird, both wires are light green with black. On a Camaro, one is light green with black and the other is yellow with black. Shorting them together with a ScotchLock at the DRL module is just as easy as doing it closer to the sensor and still leaves the option to go back to stock by just removing the ScotchLock.

the problem is mine already has two fins on the center piece that are cracked.. i am pretty sure if i go trying to remove it mine will fall apart. i'm not the best with interior fragile pieces... haha

also i swear i remember the ebrake trick not working when i tried years ago..
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I would normally agree, but I have an auto and never even use the hand brake so not having that dash light lit up when engaged is fine since I doubt I'd notice otherwise.