Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Wheel Controls / Replacing older Sony Headunit (CDX-MP30)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Wheel Controls / Replacing older Sony Headunit (CDX-MP30)

Way back in 2002 or so, I had an aftermarket headunit installed, a Sony CDX-MP30. At the time, I wanted to keep my steering wheel controls, so I had a harness adapter installed (which specific model I cannot recall) that emulated the functions of the Sony RM-X4S wired remote. So my headunit does have a wired remote, but it is the Sony-like remote.

My car has mostly been parked for years now and I'm finally getting back into it and the old head unit isn't really working anymore. (Doesn't read CDs at times, newer MP3s confuse it, can't handle VBR)

I'd like to replace the headunit with a new Pioneer unit, but I want to keep my steering wheel controls. What I am wondering is whether Pioneer units that accept a wired remote might work with the existing harness (RM-X4S-like) that I have? I have read various places online that refer to an adapter (PAC SWI) and seem to suggest that it works with Sony and/or Pioneer interchangeably.

(Note: Any other harness concerns I am not really worried about since the rest of my stereo system/amps/etc is totally aftermarket)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a PAC SWI and Pioneer and couldn't get it to work. I bought an Axxess ASWC and setup was a breeze with a Kenwood. The ASWC is universal.

More info:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l-adapter.html
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
PAC adapters are radio brand specific (i.e. SWI-PS for Pioneer and Sony, SWI-JACK for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood) and must be manually programmed.

The latest in steering wheel control adapters is the Axxess ASWC. It will work with almost any car (including 4th gen f-bodies) and all major brands of head unit. Better yet, it programs itself automatically! I put one in my wife's GMC Envoy and it works perfectly. Programming consisted of turning on the ignition and holding the steering wheel volume up button until the head unit responded (about 10-15 seconds). You can get it for under $45 on Amazon, maybe even cheaper at some other sites.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls / Replacing older Sony Headunit (CDX-MP30)