Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Wheel Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Adapter

Are there any companies out there that make an adapter harness for after market head units so that the Factory Steering Wheel Buttons retain their use? If no, then are there any write ups on how to mod them to work. I know most new style head units have a wireless receiver what about a wireless signal adapter for the steering wheel controls?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

PAC makes some depends on your head unit brand. Visit Kee audio he has some.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

PAC adapters are radio brand specific (i.e. SWI-PS for Pioneer and Sony, SWI-JACK for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood) and must be manually programmed.

The latest in steering wheel control adapters is the Axxess ASWC. It will work with almost any car (including 4th gen f-bodies) and all major brands of head unit. Better yet, it programs itself automatically! I put one in my wife's GMC Envoy and it works perfectly. Programming consisted of turning on the ignition and holding the steering wheel volume up button until the head unit responded (about 10-15 seconds). You can get it for under $45 on Amazon, maybe even cheaper at some other sites.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
PAC adapters are radio brand specific (i.e. SWI-PS for Pioneer and Sony, SWI-JACK for JVC, Alpine, Clarion, and Kenwood) and must be manually programmed.

The latest in steering wheel control adapters is the Axxess ASWC. It will work with almost any car (including 4th gen f-bodies) and all major brands of head unit. Better yet, it programs itself automatically! I put one in my wife's GMC Envoy and it works perfectly. Programming consisted of turning on the ignition and holding the steering wheel volume up button until the head unit responded (about 10-15 seconds). You can get it for under $45 on Amazon, maybe even cheaper at some other sites.
Thanks guys, and WhiteBird...you are a life saver man. I installed an aftermarket Steering wheel. And even though I do like the wheel, I found a guy who will re wrap my factory wheel with stitching to match my GTO Shift ****. So I plan to go stock wheel again!
Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked Axxess' website and it says that the ASWC is not compatible with a fbody. Have you installed one in your car to know for sure?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:50 PM
FormerVendor

Here is the site to check.
http://www.axxessinterface.com/steer...l_control.aspx

According to Axxess, the Camaro's are good to go, but the Pontiacs aren't.
I haven't loaded these on the site yet but anyone interested in one I'll have them up shipped for $49.99
Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparksAI
Here is the site to check.
http://www.axxessinterface.com/steer...l_control.aspx

According to Axxess, the Camaro's are good to go, but the Pontiacs aren't.
I haven't loaded these on the site yet but anyone interested in one I'll have them up shipped for $49.99
I'd love one if they worked on the Firebird.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If they work in a Camaro, they work in a Firebird. The steering wheel interface is exactly the same.

However, I would double check that they do work in 4th generation f-bodies. I found the listing on their website that says they do but the application guide that came with the one I installed in the Envoy only lists 5th generation Camaros.

I haven't tried it myself (except in the Envoy) but I would suspect they would work. According to the service manuals, the Envoy steering wheel controls work almost exactly the same as f-bodies (same resistance for the common controls but of course we don't have OnStar or HVAC controls).
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If they work in a Camaro, they work in a Firebird. The steering wheel interface is exactly the same.

However, I would double check that they do work in 4th generation f-bodies. I found the listing on their website that says they do but the application guide that came with the one I installed in the Envoy only lists 5th generation Camaros.

I haven't tried it myself (except in the Envoy) but I would suspect they would work. According to the service manuals, the Envoy steering wheel controls work almost exactly the same as f-bodies (same resistance for the common controls but of course we don't have OnStar or HVAC controls).
This is what I was thinking, I might just pick one up any ways and see if they work.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

We have them up and in stock.

http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/aswc.htm

They are 42.99 and $7.00 to ship but if your order is over $99 then you get free shipping.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Launching!

We have them up and in stock.

http://www.sparksai.com/product-p/aswc.htm

They are 42.99 and $7.00 to ship but if your order is over $99 then you get free shipping.
Can you tell us if it works with Firebirds?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 PM
FormerVendor

Metra still has not changed their compatability charts but Whitebird is correct, the headunit are the same and the wiring is the same. There is no difference in the two. If you want to be the first to try it out and confirm for us, buy it from me and I'll cover your return shipping and everything if it does not work, so no risk to you.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Metra still has not changed their compatability charts but Whitebird is correct, the headunit are the same and the wiring is the same. There is no difference in the two. If you want to be the first to try it out and confirm for us, buy it from me and I'll cover your return shipping and everything if it does not work, so no risk to you.
I was going to buy one, but I was just notified last week that ill be headed overseas again for another game of Musical Chairs in the Sand Box. At any rate, Ill buy one from you guys when I get home.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Bump!

Has anyone confirmed if this works with a Firebird or not? Im considering this unit for the stereo upgrade Im planning.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Chaman, give me by the end of this week to find out. I have mine installed, but I'm waiting on my new head unit to come in. The one I ordered wasn't compatible.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chaman
Bump!

Has anyone confirmed if this works with a Firebird or not? Im considering this unit for the stereo upgrade Im planning.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by GSus
Chaman, give me by the end of this week to find out. I have mine installed, but I'm waiting on my new head unit to come in. The one I ordered wasn't compatible.
If GSus doesn't get to it, I will report back on Friday/Saturday. I have it, but am waiting for my head unit to come in.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Nice! Keep us posted guys!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I ran again the info for my 1999 Trans Am through Metra's site to check for compatibility and it checked out okay! I guess you guys wont have any problem. I will wait for you report nevertheless.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I received my new Kenwood KDC-X994 today and decided to wire things up. I couldn't get it to to work, but I only tried a few times. 1995-02 Pontiac is listed in the booklet as compatible, so I will check my wires and retry tomorrow.

I gave up and decided to get drunk and watch Top Gear.

The Kenwood and new CDT CL-62 CFs up front are definitely a huge upgrade from stock. I didn't even mess with the equalizer yet.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I hope it does. I ordered one after I saw it was listed as compatible, I hope it is.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Adapter