Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How far is too Far ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How far is too Far ?

Hi All,

I Just repaired my broken factory power antenna with an aftermarket mast on my 2001 FireHawk. Seems to work fine but.... while the antenna fully extends -- it doesn't fully retract.
I just got the car and the antenna was broken when I bought it. I mention this because I don't know if the antenna is supposed to fully retract !

There is about 4" of the antenna still above the fender when it completes the down cycle.

Is this correct ?

I think I can possibly wind the mast cable further onto the drum in an effort to make the antenna retract further if necessary.

Anyway.... I would appreciate feedback on whether or not this is all I should expect. Inquisitive minds want to know.

Thanks for feedback.

Bob
Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

when fully retracted it should be flush inside the rubber boot. if you need a power antenna I have a GM OEM in excellent working condition.let me know.good luck.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smile Thanks !

Thanks for feedback !

Based on your explanation, I'll adjust the mast cable take-up on the drum and see if I can get it to retract fully.

The mast ( antenna with nylon toothed cable ) was only $ 25.00 delivered. I am trying this since I could hear the factory motor trying to work on both the up and down cycle. Sure enough, when I got it apart the original mast's nylon cable was broken in several places. So this replacement mast is "almost" working.

Hopefully -- the adjustment on the take-up drum will get me 100 % to factory operation. If not, I may want to see about purchasing your OEM unit.

Thanks again,

Bob