Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

interior lights wont go off

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights wont go off

Any suggestions on how to fix this before my battery dies lol
Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Make sure the hatch is'nt popped open abit
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know if this will solve your issue, but make sure the dimmer dial (above the fog light switch) isn't dialed up all the way.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Teching In

I shut everything over and over and flipped switches and all. If it sits a while the lights go off but not when I'm driving it. Thanks for replies
Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by blazier19
I shut everything over and over and flipped switches and all. If it sits a while the lights go off but not when I'm driving it. Thanks for replies
This is normal.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is normal.
No its not. The lights should fade out quickly when you lock the car and they shouldn't be stuck on while driving.

blazier19, since you already re-closed the doors & hatch (usually the problem is the hatch) and made sure the dimmer wheel isn't all the way up, then the problem could be a door switch. They are located in/on the latch (unlike older cars that had a visible plunger switch in the jamb). One of the door switches may need to be cleaned/adjusted/replaced. After the lights go out, open a door. If the lights come back on, that door isn't the problem. Close the door and wait for the lights to go out. The repeat the test for the other door and again for the hatch.

Before going through all that trouble, how many times does the horn honk when you lock the car? If it honks once, then it probably is an issue with a door switch. If it honks twice, then its not a problem with a door switch since the alarm checks that the doors and hatch are closed. 2 Honk = everything closed. 1 Honk means something open (usually the hatch).

I'd start with the hatch and driver's side door since they are the most-likely culprits.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-02-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Sorry guys. I misread the "but not" in the post.

+1 on a door switch. The hatch is usually easy to isolate because we have the hatch ajar light on the dash. The driver door is easy because we get the door ajar chime when the key is in the ignition and the car is not started.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Nice write up

Originally Posted by VIP1
No its not. The lights should fade out quickly when you lock the car and they shouldn't be stuck on while driving.

blazier19, since you already re-closed the doors & hatch (usually the problem is the hatch) and made sure the dimmer wheel isn't all the way up, then the problem could be a door switch. They are located in/on the latch (unlike older cars that had a visible plunger switch in the jamb). One of the door switches may need to be cleaned/adjusted/replaced. After the lights go out, open a door. If the lights come back on, that door isn't the problem. Close the door and wait for the lights to go out. The repeat the test for the other door and again for the hatch.

Before going through all that trouble, how many times does the horn honk when you lock the car? If it honks once, then it probably is an issue with a door switch. If it honks twice, then its not a problem with a door switch since the alarm checks that the doors and hatch are closed. 2 Honk = everything closed. 1 Honk means something open (usually the hatch).

I'd start with the hatch and driver's side door since they are the most-likely culprits.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Default Easy fix

Originally Posted by blazier19
Any suggestions on how to fix this before my battery dies lol
I took the dimmer switch apart and cleaned all of the contacts with a rag and electrode cleaner.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by William Duhamel
I took the dimmer switch apart and cleaned all of the contacts with a rag and electrode cleaner.

FYI you replied to a post from 2011...
Old 03-29-2023, 02:11 PM

Default interior lights wont go off

Looked out of house window in the morning, courtesy lights were on. Waited about 10 minutes they were off. An hour later they were on. Went out to check. Sat in car, lights would not go off. Pulled fuse #8, lights went off. Door lock would not work. Put fuse back in, door lock works but light stayed on past timer limits. This may eliminate the timer since both lights & door locks are timed. 30 minutes later lights were still on. 15 minutes later they were off. They come on by themselves and go off whenever they want, even out of the timer operating time limits. Most probable cause was a hard rain shorting the left door switch to ground itself, making the car think the door was open. After it dried out, there were no more problems.

Quick Reply: interior lights wont go off