Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HID Halo's/Fogs Power Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Halo's/Fogs Power Issue

Have 35w 6k HID chrome angel eye halos and just put in 6k 35w HID Fogs.

I can tell that when I lock or unlock the car they aren't really getting enough power because the fogs flicker a little and it's making a zzzzzzzz sound (sounds like a big fuel pump is turning on).

Can I get a capacitor for them and would it help? Or another battery all together? I have a 1,000 watt amp with 2 12"'s too so maybe I could power both with one battery?

Before couldn't leave the lights on w/o the car running for more than 5-10 min without the battery dying. Now I think it would be even worse.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

02 SS m6 as well if its not on my sig
Old 12-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

HIDs take time to warm up and don't like to be flashed. The quick flash of the parking lights (along with the fog lights if the switch is on) when locking/unlocking the car is not enough to fully power the HIDs. The sound you hear is probably the ballast starting up. It's not just annoying - it will greatly shorten the life of your HIDs.

You can fix that bug with DDT (Don't Do That).

Actually, the two options are to turn off the fog light switch when exiting the car (somewhat of a bother) or program the keyless entry system not to flash the lights.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Haha.

Ok fair enough advice. I'll just keep the foglight switch off when I get out of the car.

Thanks bud!