Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lower speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lower speaker replacement

Hi!

I recently bought a 93 firebird (10 speaker setup) and I need to replace the lower door speakers. I honestly have no idea of how to go about this but I need to replace them asap! Everytime the bass hits hard it rattles like crazy, I believe there is a broken cone. Any recommendations for how to fix them / are there any more powerfull subs (like JL) I could put in the back? What wattages should I be looking for?

Thanks a lot,
Ryan
Old 03-14-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

almost forgot, could it be anything else? like rotting foam or something?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought speakers but I can't seem to get the speaker off, I can get most of the doorpanel off but it seems ot be latched somewhere, is there any secret trick to gettting em off?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

ok, i have a 99 camaro but firebirds are so similar. there will be a couple screws by the door handle. take them out lol. now you have to disconnect the linkage between the door and the lock. this can be done 2 ways. just disconnect the lock part itself, like the plastic piece, or take out the whole middle plastic piece. this can be a pin in the *** to get back in, also i dont know if firebirds have this. then the rest of the door panel just pops out. also maybe your speakers aren't blown, just really distorted. push on the cone, if you hear a crunching noise, they are blown.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks a lot!

Tho distorted or not woudn't it be wise to replace them? when the bass hits (not even hard at all, turn the volume WAY down) it makes a vibrating sound (not enuff bass to actually vibrate objects) so I am thinking the speaker is blown.

also any recommendation for speakers? could you verify the size I neeD?
Old 03-29-2004, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

as i said, the firebirds are so similar, though mine only has a 6 speaker setup. the lower door one's are probably 6 1/2 x 9's as with the middle ones. i have sony xplod's, but i would recommend jl, infinity, or rockford fosgate