Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

help with a sail panel sub install

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with a sail panel sub install

I bought some kicker 2 ohm 6.5 svc subs to replace the blown stock subs

the wholes to mount the speaker are not matching up one bit, do i just go ahead and drill all new holes? and the clips that were on the factory sub, im going to have to buy more if i do have to drill new holes... where can i find those clips?

Im a newbie when it comes to car audio..any quick help would be great
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes if you just barely start threading screws you can get all 4 of them started and then tighten down. The diameter of cone molding was just a LITTLE too large for the distance between the sheet metal holes.

Get some #6 speed nuts (Dorman?) from the auto store. Also #6 sheet metal screws and small washers to go with them. Use some tape to hold them in place so they don't go down into the abyss.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks im going to install them in a few, i was able to get the #6 speed nuts and sheet metal screws at home depot and should not be too hard from here.

what about the speaker adapter, should i attempt to salvage the adapter from the stock sub? or just strip the factory wire?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would try to keep the adapters.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ll-w-pics.html
Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Teching In

I was told not to use those Kickers, I looked them up and the Monsoon Amp doesn't have the watts RMS to push it--I used Lanzar MAXP64 about $55 shipped on Amazon. Just put them in and at least they push some air and a definate improvent over stock even though they are 4ohm. Also, Infinity, 6030cs, replaced the front speakers---2 ohm woofer--wired tweeters seperate using oem crossover. About $92 shipped and you have a set of good crossovers left over to use.

Also, use a Dremel to enlogate the holes in the sail panels, along with some longer tapping or drywall screws. Good luck!

Quick Reply: help with a sail panel sub install