Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kenwood DDX512 Sub Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kenwood DDX512 Sub Issues

i have a DD Kenwood DDX512 HU and for some reason it is not noticing the subs. the subs are playing but i have no control over them whatsoever and the controls for them are greyed out (sub on, level, ect) ive reset the HU multiple times but they still arent begin recognized.. any idea on what it could be?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

under system setup is the preout set to rear instead of subwoofer?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

It is set to rear but it won't let me change it...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The DDX512 is basically the same as my DNX5120 without the navigation.

First, make sure you have an audio source selected (radio or whatever - it doesn't matter which one). Then go to Zone Control in the Audio Control menu and make sure that it is set for Single (the subwoofer can't be used in Dual Zone mode). Next go to System Setup in the Setup menu and advance to the third screen. Set the Preout Setup to Subwoofer. Finally, go to the Audio Setup page in the Setup menu and set Subwoofer to On.

I have heard that sometimes some of the audio control pages aren't available unless you select Standby as the audio source. Try it first with a real audio source and if that doesn't work, try switching the source to Standby.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

ill try switching it to standby.. i did the exact thing you listed while having my ipod playing and everything was greyed out (sub on and preout arrow)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The DDX512 is basically the same as my DNX5120 without the navigation.

First, make sure you have an audio source selected (radio or whatever - it doesn't matter which one). Then go to Zone Control in the Audio Control menu and make sure that it is set for Single (the subwoofer can't be used in Dual Zone mode). Next go to System Setup in the Setup menu and advance to the third screen. Set the Preout Setup to Subwoofer. Finally, go to the Audio Setup page in the Setup menu and set Subwoofer to On.

I have heard that sometimes some of the audio control pages aren't available unless you select Standby as the audio source. Try it first with a real audio source and if that doesn't work, try switching the source to Standby.
Hey i dont know how quickly you can get back to this, Where it says subwoofer on or off i cant select either, it just has a lock
Old 04-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It took just a few seconds looking in the Kenwood owner's manual to find this information...
  • Setup Menu -> Audio Setup. The Subwoofer can be set on or off only when Preout is set to Subwoofer
  • System Setup (page 3). Preout Setup can be set to Rear or Subwoofer. This can only be changed when in Standby Mode.
  • Standby Mode is selected using the Audio Source screen (SRC button)

Quick Reply: Kenwood DDX512 Sub Issues