Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bcm resolder

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 05:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bcm resolder

My car is absolutely dead. As if you had removed the battery. Put in new battery and checks all fuses. Checked a few grounds also. Then I checked the bcm. I checked those 5 points I had read about and as you can see one appears to be damaged. I will resolder all five just to be safe. Could that little point really be the reason why my car is dead?
Old 04-04-2021, 01:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Not a chance. The solder joints you've read about affect only the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which provides power to the radio and power windows for some time after the ignition is switched off. It has nothing to do with any other car functions (well, except the top in a convertible).

The BCM is a Body Control Module. It has no relation to non-body functions of the vehicle other than the Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) which will prevent the car from starting if an incorrect ignition key is used. All other functions (lights, dash, signals, locks, windows, hatch release, etc.) will still work but the SECURITY light in the dash will tell you that VATS is preventing the car from starting. If you are truly getting nothing (especially the startup bulb test) then your problem is most definitely not the BCM.

Have you checked the fusible links for being burned out?
Old 04-04-2021, 02:02 PM
Teching In

What are the fuseable links and how do I check them?
Old 04-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Fusible links are special pieces of wire about 6-8 inches long which are designed to work like a fuse - they melt and break the connection when there's an electrical short causing too much current to flow. They are the first line of defense against extremely high current, even before the fuse panel. There are three of them in 4th generation f-bodies, located in front of the left wheelhouse behind the electrical junction boxes. The insulation will be visibly melted if the link has burned out.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Do you have any pictures?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, sorry. I've never had any need to refer to the fusible links before. It would take a huge over-current situation for them to burn out. If you look behind the junction boxes and see anything that looks like a wire that's melted, that would be a fusible link.

Quick Reply: Bcm resolder