Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blinker DRL Ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blinker DRL Ignition problems

I have a 2001 TA with a weird problem you can see in the below video, I haven't changed any wiring only replaced all the bulbs with led. Im thinking it might be the DRL module but not for sure anyone ever see anything like this?

Old 04-02-2021, 08:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Well, since the DRL module is completely unrelated to the ignition, you can be sure that is not the problem. It is possible that the DRL module could cause the signal light on one side to stay on since it has internal relays which switch the front lamps between DRL and turn signal usage.

The simple and obvious thing to try is to replace the LED bulbs with the original incandescent ones and see if the problems go away. That will demonstrate whether the problems are related to the bulbs or are a coincidence - it's not uncommon for things to happen after a change that look like they're related but really aren't. If the problems remain then we can work on diagnosing what is causing them without considering the bulbs. On the other hand, if the problems go away then we we can focus on what the bulbs are doing to cause these other symptoms.

BTW, are you 100% sure you got 3157 LED bulbs and not 3156? Installing 3156 single "filament" bulbs in sockets requiring 3157 dual "filament" bulbs can cause all sorts of weird problems involving current back feed and such.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Teching In

I got all the regular bulbs in and left blinker works fine but it seems like the right blinker is shorted to the parking lights somewhere. I disconnected the rear light connection in the car to disconnect the tail lights and problem persists. Somewhere in the front some wires are shorted together but I have been unable to find it.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

What about the other problems? Still having ignition shutoff problems?

When you say that the right turn signal is shorted to the parking lights, what are the symptoms which make you say that? Firebirds don't actually use the dim (parking) filament at the front unless the headlights are on. When the headlight switch is in the Off or P position, the bright (DRL) filament will still be active. If the right front lamp is always on and does not flash with the turn signals then you may have a stuck relay inside the DRL module.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:47 PM
Teching In

I figured it out, I replaced both front blinker sockets and the pass side was shorting out in the socket I had to mess with the pins in the socket now everything works fine. Looks like i found a way to hot wire the car using the blinker lights.

Quick Reply: Blinker DRL Ignition problems