Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Power Window Wiring Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Window Wiring Assistance

Hi I'm trying to replace my power window switches with custom billet aluminum ones. I am currently experimenting with passenger side. Initially I'm trying to understand the wiring and make things work manually (touching wires). With the schematic I determined the Dark Blue and Brown wires go to motor. I understand swapping those with positive and negative charges causes the electric motor to switch direction. I also understand the other Brown is +12v when accessory is on. I was able to get passenger window to close by touching tan to motor Brown and +12v brown to Dark Blue. If I swap them window opens. For some reason, this just stopped working. Tan is no longer acting as ground when I check with DC meter. I cut a new wire to use as ground and connected to good ground point. When I use that external wire instead as ground I can open and close window with this and +12v brown.

My questions:
  • Is there some reset or other mechanism I am unaware of that would make tan NOT ground? Does something need to reset? Or what could have burnt out while I was testing combinations?
  • What is light blue for? From schematic it looks like common ground between driver and passenger side? From what I can tell light blue and tan are used as ground depending on whether you are opening or closing window.
Any help to better understand power window wiring and relation between them would be SUPER appreciated as this is really holding back my project. Thanks!!!!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Yes. ALL of the passenger wires first travel through the switches on the driver's side. That makes the circuit much more complex. Often, bad wires on the passenger side can have the switch in the driver's door as the culprit.

There's no escape by switching to the driver's side because those wires go through the express-down module.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

In regards to what can be burnt up, like previously mentioned, everything on the passenger's side goes through the driver's side, there's also the express down module, and the retained accessory module.

OP, are you relocating your switches, or just replacing what is already there? I guess my question is what end state are you trying to achieve?
Old 04-07-2021, 09:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 281 Likes on 244 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The light blue and tan wires are input from the driver's side switch. The dark blue and one of the brown wires are the output to the window motor. The other brown is power from the windows circuit breaker.

When the driver's side switch is in the rest position, both the light blue and tan wires should be connected to ground. When the passenger window switch on the driver's side is used, one of those will go to power and the other to ground depending on window direction (light blue to power for up, tan to power for down).

When the passenger side switch is used, it connects the dark blue to power from the brown wire for up (ground is through the tan wire to the driver's side switch) or the brown wire to power from the other brown wire for down (ground is then through the light blue wire to the driver's side switch).

If you test for ground on the tan wire at the passenger's switch (with the driver's switch at rest) and don't get it then you either have a broken cross cabin wire or the driver's switch is faulty.

Quick Reply: Power Window Wiring Assistance