Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PIE adapter 2000+ Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIE adapter 2000+ Monsoon

I sent PIE an e-mail about their adapter to allow 2 RCA inputs.

Here was my e-mail to them:

Hello

I own a 2000 Camaro with the Monsoon system, in-dash CD player, and 12 disc changer in the hatch area.

I would like to use your adapter to control an XM radio unit through RCA jacks instead of the FM modulator.

Will this work on my car if I un plug the CD changer? It mentions that you must have the Tape/AUX button for this to work, but I was thinking if I took out the changer, your adapter would work.

Thanks

Brad Ferguson

Today I got this response:

PIE part # X3 and X3-GM9 will hook up between your CD-Changer and headunit.
It will allow upto 3 sets of RCA's to be intergrated. It will not control any source. It will just allow Audio input.

Thank you for contacting PIE.

I am guessing this answers the question of whether or not the PIE adapter will work with the factory cd changer to add XM radio or an MP3 player.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Old 04-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Nope. They're talking about an entirely different adapter. The X3 plugs into the external CD changer cable but uses a separate switch that you have to mount somewhere to switch between input sources. The original question was about using the PIE GM9-AUX adapter to add another source (such as satellite radio) so that you can switch to it using the CD/Play button (or AUX button on Camaro) on the head unit. PIE says that the GM9-AUX will only work on 2001 and newer models but we already know that the major change to GM head units happened in mid-1999 so we think they have the wrong year.

Yes, you can use the X3 but I suggest you check their web site to get an idea of what the wired remote looks like to see if that's what you really want.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that does seem like a bit much for just adding XM radio. I don't want that huge switch.

So, does anyone know if you can use the GM9-AUX on a 2000 with the in-dash CD player, and external factory CD changer?