Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommendation on HU, amp, speaker replacements

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation on HU, amp, speaker replacements

Has anyone done a recent replacement of factory Monsoon system to include HU, amp, speaker? Any recommendations on a double DIN HU, amp, speakers? I was looking at the Kenwood 790 or 770 (need compatibility with iPhone 5.) I reviewed Double Mods and Kee offerings. Ultimately end up purchasing one of their speaker packages but that leaves the HU and amp. Suggestions? Hardware will be installed in an 02 Z/28. Budget. $500 for HU. $500 for speakers. $??? for amp. (I am not a subject matter expert in audio components especially amp's.) Do I need a 2, 4, 8 channel amp? Watts? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Using that Monsoon amp can be a good option for you . It will save your money and ease the installation. The Kee setup is a very nice setup which would run $300 right there. Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony all make pretty good head units. I have a Pioneer 5500 in the truck. Has a built in 5 band EQ, Subwoofer controls, High pass Filters, USB Aux, 2 preouts. That deck runs around $90-$100.

As for your bass, you can go 1 10 in stealth or you can use the cubby and go with a variety of options but 2 10s and 2 12s in the cubby are probably the most popular ways to go with bass..

So are you saying your total budget is $1000? If so, that is plenty of money to make a decent system.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

I have a double din pioneer headunit for sale along wit the bezel in trade for your stock bezel + $300. also have amps and subs if you check out my for sale thread in my sig
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I trashed all the crap monsoon system, replaced the hu with a nice jvc, replaced the speakers with the cdts from a sponsor here, kee audio. Then I went one step further, got a couple subs for the hatch, and a jbl amp to push it all, has a great quality sound...

Quick Reply: Recommendation on HU, amp, speaker replacements