Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlight/DRL issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight/DRL issue...

I just bought a '99 SS last week and I noticed today that my headlights stay on all the time while driving, regardless of the time of day. On my old 4th gens the DRLs would cut on and the headlights would not, unless it was dusk/dark. I know there is a way to bypass the auto headlights by splicing into a wire in the dash. However, I do not know how they could have wired it to do this. The only obvious thing I have done is tried the headlight **** and they still won't cut off.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

99 shouldn't even have auto headlights, that wasn't a feature till 2000 something else must be jacked up somewhere in the wiring.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

ALL 98+ Camaros came with automatic headlights.

The automatic headlight circuit uses a photocell to determine when it is dark. The less light the sensor sees, the greater the resistance in the sensor circuit. Bypassing automatic headlights involves shorting the two sensor wires together... zero resistance equals bright light so the headlights never turn on automatically. Conversely, a broken connection would create an open circuit (infinite resistance) causing the headlights to stay on all the time.

It is possible that a previous owner cut or disconnected the sensor wires causing the current problem. However, it's more likely that the previous owner removed the dash panel for some reason and didn't secure the sensor into its spot in the dash next to the defroster vent. If the sensor is dangling loose under the dash somewhere, it is probably in nearly complete darkness causing the headlights to stay on.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
ALL 98+ Camaros came with automatic headlights.

The automatic headlight circuit uses a photocell to determine when it is dark. The less light the sensor sees, the greater the resistance in the sensor circuit. Bypassing automatic headlights involves shorting the two sensor wires together... zero resistance equals bright light so the headlights never turn on automatically. Conversely, a broken connection would create an open circuit (infinite resistance) causing the headlights to stay on all the time.

It is possible that a previous owner cut or disconnected the sensor wires causing the current problem. However, it's more likely that the previous owner removed the dash panel for some reason and didn't secure the sensor into its spot in the dash next to the defroster vent. If the sensor is dangling loose under the dash somewhere, it is probably in nearly complete darkness causing the headlights to stay on.
BINGO, this must be the cause. At one point they removed the dash cover and cut the vent area out and put porch screen in its place...year I know, WTF???

I will open it up and see if that is the issue, I bet it is. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I happened to touch my dashpad the other day and it was completely loose. Just sitting on my dash. I can lift it up easily and see where the red led is for the alarm. I can't see if the photocell is still there...correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't the red LED attach to the vented area of the dashpad? It's been a while and I cannot remember.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The alarm LED and the photo sensor mount next to each other in mounting holes on the right side of the defroster vent in the dash pad.

Quick Reply: Headlight/DRL issue...