Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tuning with stock monsoon amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning with stock monsoon amp

Finally decided that I needed to dump the factory headunit, and replaced it with a new alpine unit.

I read the FAQ, but didn't see my answer.

The new alpine unit has the Crossovers set at 80hz, which takes some of the bass out.

I'm wondering: does the factory amplifier drive the sail panel speakers off of the front channel or the rear channel? It's hard to tell with fiddling...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html

read this
Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

I did. I didn't notice it mention where the monsoon amplifier takes its signal from though.

I know it takes the four speaker channels from the headunit and disperses it into 8 channels, but does it exclusively take the sail panel source from the front channels or the rear channel??? Or does it somehow take it from both?

I'm simply trying to set the built in crossovers on the new headunit appropriately.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the power antenna wire turns on the amplifier. if you power antenna doesn't turn on, the amp should not either (assuming the power antenna is functional but does not receive the signal from the head unit) Jeep wires their Infinity systems this way as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I think he's missing your question. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure which source channels are used for the sail panel subs but I suspect it's the rear. One way to find out would be to turn your fade all the way forward and all the way rearward and see if you get output from the sail panels in one or the other (or both) situations.

BTW trans_am7935, the Monsoon amp does not use a remote turn on wire... it uses signal sensing to determine when to turn on.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks white... I tried playing around with it using just the fade, without much luck distinguishing between the two.

My problem is with the stock HU, the CDT sailpanel subs were very pronounced... And sounded quite good, if not a little harsh.

With the Alpine, they're barley present, even with the bass cranked. I'm trying to figure out how to make them more audible, and I figured toying with the XOver settings in the HU would help, but with not much luck.

I know those CDT woofers do a good job, so I'd hate to keep throwing money at the stereo when I could be improving other things with the car.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

I got a kenwood HU nothing fancy from Kee for about 145 and I too had to play with the pass settings and such to get the bass back. I started with the stock Monsoon HU with the CDT sails bass was pretty darn good then upgraded the HU and rest of the speakers.

ON the kenwood I stumbled on the Pass thru or pure direct something like that setting and messed with it and the other filter like you and got the bass back, although still not quite the same. I constantly fiddle with it though. I now wish I had a better HU that had a little better adjustability. Sounds good with the factory amp, but I believe I am power challenged and missing some of the new circuitry with all those speakers wanting more.

Quick Reply: Tuning with stock monsoon amp