Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon wiring question..

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon wiring question..

So I picked up a 99 Z28 that originally had the monsoon system. The head unit was aftermarket and the door and back seat speakers were replaced with MTX component speakers. Since the stock amp was designed to treat the back seat speakers as subs, i'd like to get highs out of it as well to fully utilize the speakers. If I run new wires from the head unit to the back seat speakers but also keep the hatch speakers hooked up normally, would that work? I've attached a rather crappy diagram of what I'm talking about. Is there an easier/better way to do this short of completely rewiring the entire car and installing an aftermarket amp? I'd like to utilize all 6 speakers in the car(4 components and 2 stocks in the hatch)
Attached Thumbnails Monsoon wiring question..-monsoon-bypass.jpg  
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The better way would be to buy the correct speakers for the sail panels so that you regain the bass that was intended to go there.

An alternative is to disconnect the hatch speakers and pull those wires forward to the sail panels to power the speakers there. The hatch speakers get full-range signal that would power your component speakers in the sail panels. There is no reason to have full-range speakers in the sail panels as well as in the hatch area unless you want your car to sound like the 70s when everyone had 6x9 speakers mounted on the rear parcel shelf. You just put your sound stage too far behind you. Generally, you only want speakers behind you to be either subs or rear fill - not a primary sound source.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I like a lot of clarity and crispness/definition in my Camaro's sound system, so I bought a pair of 6LEDesigns tweeter mount pods and installed one on each door panel (where the side mirrors bolt on). I really like the richer sound quality and they look factory. The install took me about 45 minutes.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=260
Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The better way would be to buy the correct speakers for the sail panels so that you regain the bass that was intended to go there.

An alternative is to disconnect the hatch speakers and pull those wires forward to the sail panels to power the speakers there. The hatch speakers get full-range signal that would power your component speakers in the sail panels. There is no reason to have full-range speakers in the sail panels as well as in the hatch area unless you want your car to sound like the 70s when everyone had 6x9 speakers mounted on the rear parcel shelf. You just put your sound stage too far behind you. Generally, you only want speakers behind you to be either subs or rear fill - not a primary sound source.
So I could basically swap speaker positions then, just would have to modify the rear holes to fit the speakers..correct? Right now all i really hear in the voice range comes from the hatch area and the bass from the sail panels. I can barely hear the door panels.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by spider2076
So I could basically swap speaker positions then, just would have to modify the rear holes to fit the speakers..correct? Right now all i really hear in the voice range comes from the hatch area and the bass from the sail panels. I can barely hear the door panels.
No, that's not at all what I meant. You get only bass from the sail panels because that's the filtered signal that the Monsoon amp sends there - it is designed to have subs there. Swapping speakers will not change that.

If you are determined to use the wrong type of speaker in the sail panels (full-range rather than subs) then you will have to get an unfiltered full-range signal to them. To do that, you disconnect the wires from the hatch speakers and pull those wires forward on each side (you may need to extend them with some extra wire) to the sail panels where you have installed your MTX components. Don't move the speakers - just the wires.

You end up with working speakers in the doors, working speakers in the sail panels and disconnected speakers in the hatch area. That's because four full-range speakers (sail panels and hatch area) behind you would sound terrible.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM

Gotcha. I noticed that the door speakers have 2 sets of wires going to them also, is that basically the same as you're saying that the sail panels would be wired if I were to move the hatch wiring? Or is there some other situation going on with the door speakers?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section. The doors have component speakers where the Monsoon amp powers the mids and tweeters using separate channels.

No, I'm not saying that you would use all pairs of wires in the sail panels... you would disconnect the existing sail panel speaker wires and replace them with the pair of wires you pull forward from the hatch.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 AM

That's what I was trying to say, sorry.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Z28RS
I like a lot of clarity and crispness/definition in my Camaro's sound system, so I bought a pair of 6LEDesigns tweeter mount pods and installed one on each door panel (where the side mirrors bolt on). I really like the richer sound quality and they look factory. The install took me about 45 minutes.

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=260
If clarity, crispness and definition are what you are after you need to abandon everything factory in there and invest in a high quality set of components up front high quality amps and subs. Factory junk will never meet the above criteria you specified above.

Quick Reply: Monsoon wiring question..