Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does anyone have a good design for a complete sound system replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does anyone have a good design for a complete sound system replacement?

So I bought this really sweet 2002 White SS for my kid. Car is straight, needs no paint, solid drive train, brand new C6 Z06 wheels and pilot sports.
But the stereo is totally F*'d up.....bezel is jacked, amp is gone...6x9s in the back just set in the holes and not even hooked up...sheeeesh.

I just want to use the existing holes and no subwoofer....
I want to at least have the sound thats in the monsoon system in my other kids Z28......thing sounds nice.

So I was thinking I'd do a double din Kenwood from Double D. ($500)
Speaker Package from Kee (Level 2 = $350)
Amp? I have no idea.....
Amp mount from Kee ($79) looks cool enough

Parts + install looking to be around $1300....that sound right? I sure would like to escape for less....so looking for ideas.

Who has replaced the whole system, how much did you spend and are you happy with it?

Thx
Old 09-25-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy an amp rack from Kee, and his driver's side stealth sub enclosure. Get a good 4 ohm SVC or 2+2 DVC 10" cone, also a good amp cabling kit. Then buy two of these:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eries/GM-D8604

Use the first amp to drive doors and hatch speakers. Use the second amp to drive the sails and bridge two channels to drive the 10". Amps are about $150 each.

Use your LPF and HPF settings on your HU in conjunction with the physical LPF and subsonic filters on the amps to send the sails 80-300 Hz and the 10" 25-100 Hz.

These items along with the CDT gear you already spec'd will provide a very nice, powerful, factory-like upper/medium level sound system with better cones, more power, and a much fuller bass delivery. Remember to remove the factory high pass filters on the component tweeters and use the CDT crossover modules.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced my system once and now in the process of doing it a second time...
I blew my 6.5 door speakers, Best Buy gave me replacements for free but i never put those in.....that's what made me upgrade again.
1st: pioneer DEH9400HD ($165) Two sets of KS65 6.5 door speakers [($70 each set) I have a convertible] two 12" CVR DVC kicker subwoofers ($120 each) Alpine 4channel MRV-P300 ($125) and Alpine monoblock MRX-M110 ($275) Custom subwoofer box ($250) + the install. That comes close to your budget and it was a nice system. Total ~850RMS.
2nd (in process): Hertz HSK 165 front speakers ($400) Hertz HCX 165 rear speakers ($260) JL audio HD 600/4 amp ($466) JL audio two 12W7-B ($449 each) JL audio two HD 750/1 ($429 each) Kinetic battery KHC 1800 ($200). Total~2200RMS. I kept the same head unit because the Pioneer is a solid inexpensive option. On my next car (Chevy Truck) I'm putting in DNN990HD excelon 2 din ($1075) but the pioneer would be more than enough for what you're looking for.

Let me know how your build is going....

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a good design for a complete sound system replacement?