Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Battery Question: F-body voltage tolerance

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Battery Question: F-body voltage tolerance

Hi guys.

Would anyone happen to know what the maximum voltage/amperage tolerance is on the 4th gen F-bodies (V8)? Specially, I was hoping to find out if the voltage difference between the Duralast and Duralast Gold batteries is anything to be concerned about with the electrical setup in these vehicles.

My old battery was dying. It gave sluggish cranks that drew so much that the computer would reset with each startup, and possibly also giving a lower performance while driving--though I always assumed the car fully fed off the alternator when the engine is running (and my alternator is new and fully functioning). I rarely use the stereo system, but it is an aftermarket with two subs wired at the back, so I'm not sure if that makes an appreciable difference.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the gold just gives you more cranking AMPs it doesn't increase your peak voltage, 12 volt batteries are just that, going to like a 16 volt battery is where you would have problems from over voltage, but you probably won't find those at autozone.

as long as your using a "12 volt" battery and the voltage regulator (which is part of your alternator) is working properly (not charging over 14.7 volts, these cars tend to sit in the low 13's) then you don't need to worry about your amperage. in fact if you live in cold climates you want the better cranking amps as it can be needed to crank the car in cold extremes. also subs can cause headlight dimming and bigger better "cranking amp" batteries can help offset the dimming.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimsonnaire
Hi guys.
I was hoping to find out if the voltage difference between the Duralast and Duralast Gold batteries is anything to be concerned about with the electrical setup in these vehicles.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
there is no voltage difference. all car batteries are 12 volt, specifically about 12.6 to 12.8 volts when fully charged.

regarding maximum voltage and amperage, i assume you know the difference between voltage and amperage. the electrical system is tolerant up to around 16 volts, after that the PCM will notice the high voltage and set a DTC along with other actions possibly. for amperage, it's tolerant up to whatever the fuse is rated for on that circuit, or whatever the gauge wire can handle without melting.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The batteries are constructed very similarly. In addition to possible differences in the cranking amperage ratings, (CCA) you will find that the warranties are different. The longer one will likely have more highly purified materials inside, which will last longer as the battery is used.

Quick Reply: Battery Question: F-body voltage tolerance