Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing new HU and speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing new HU and speakers

going with an alpine HU always liked them. was looking to swap some new speakers in, nothing special just better quality sound. question is, should i rewire the speakers or just use the factory wires?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id stick with the stock wires, unless they are damaged.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you intend to keep the factory amp, then you can continue to use the stock wiring. Most people rewire when they use an aftermarket amp in a different location, and need to home-run wires to the new amp in the hatch area or wherever they put it.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think they're damaged. So I'll just swap them. Thx guys. Do I need anything special for the new hu to work with the stock amp? I know I need an adaptor for my steering wheel controls. Any recommendations?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of your answers are in the FAQ. There is nothing special about connecting the new HU. Just proceed as if there wasn't an external amp in the car. If you install an aftermarket amp later on, you will probably need to run RCA pre-outs and a remote on wire from the HU.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-controls.html
Old 12-23-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i was going to use a maptech faceplate do i need anything else to install the HU?

Last edited by GiggleJuiced_SS; 12-23-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A harness adapter and an Axxess AWSC, if you have steering wheel controls. PAC also makes one. Again, the FAQ answers all of this...

Replacing the head unit

Contrary to what some stereo shops will try to tell you, it is easy to replace the Monsoon head unit. Since it is just an ordinary Delco radio, replacement is the same as for any standard GM product. There are three different sizes of head units that can be made to fit a Camaro or Firebird dash. HU sizes are expressed as DIN. The factory HU in Camaros and Firebirds is 1.5 DIN (the face is approximately 3" tall).

The most common size is single DIN (the face is approximately 2" tall). This is the size that was used in most cars since the 1950s. You will need a mounting kit to fit an aftermarket single DIN head unit in the 1.5 DIN opening. The mounting kit consists of brackets and a faceplate to fill up the dash opening. The Metra part number for these single DIN kits are:
99-3009 Camaro 93-96, Firebird 93-02
99-3300 Camaro 97-02
99-4000 Camaro and Firebird with CD pocket

Many recent model vehicles have double DIN stereos (the face is approximately 4" tall). They have the advantage of being large enough to incorporate such features as GPS systems, DVD video, and touch screen displays. Double DIN head units can be installed in late model Camaros and Firebirds but they require a custom trim bezel with the larger opening to fit the head unit face. Custom bezels are available commercially (including through our sponsors), can be made by modifying the existing factory bezel, or can be created from scratch. An example of a double DIN installation with a bezel made from scratch is in this thread: Pioneer AVIC-D3 Installed.

Although not strictly necessary, you should get a wiring harness adapter kit so that you can connect your aftermarket HU without having to cut the factory wiring harness. The Metra part number for the wiring harness adapter is 70-1858. The adapter harness has a plug that matches the factory radio harness and a number of unfinished wires in industry standard colors. You simply connect the unfinished wires to the matching wires from your aftermarket head unit (i.e. red to red, orange to orange, etc.) then the whole assembly just plugs into the factory wiring harness. Even if a previous owner has butchered the factory harness by cutting off the plug and splicing wires, you can repair it and use a harness adapter. Metra part 71-1858 is a replacement plug and wires for the factory radio harness (71-1858 connects to the factory wiring and 70-1858 connects to the aftermarket radio wiring and then the two adapters plug together).

Finally, you will need an antenna adapter to fit the small GM antenna plug into the standard Motorola antenna port on your new HU. With these parts it is a simple matter to install your new HU and connect it to the factory wiring. Depending on the head unit you install, you should notice an improvement in sound over stock because of the reduced distortion. The difference won't be dramatic but it will be noticeable and you will be able to use higher volume levels than the stock setup without the sound becoming horribly distorted.

Steering wheel controls

Replacing the factory HU doesn't necessarily mean losing the use of your steering wheel controls. PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) makes a series of adapters that allow you to use the steering wheel controls with popular models of aftermarket radios. There are models designed to work with specific brands and a universal model that will work with most radios that have infrared remote controls. The "universal" adapter is the SWI-X which works with most head units that come with an infrared remote. The notable exceptions are JVC models and certain older Sony models. Check the PAC website for details.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm glad you quoted that... it made me realize I need to update the steering wheel controls paragraph to include the newer Axxess product.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

If go with a aftermarket amp if your going to start replacing speakers. That alpine uh is going to give you a nice clean sound to start with.

Put that with some good components and a good amp. It will sound real nice
Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

update. cd player installed with custom mount, pics below.

First pic - Nighttime no headlights
Second pic - Nighttime w/headlights
Third pic - Daytime w/headlights.

the "Camaro SS" is blue LED backlit and it wired to my headlight dimmer switch.
Attached Thumbnails Installing new HU and speakers-img_20140220_211948_816_zps379e5290.jpg   Installing new HU and speakers-img_20140220_194500_263_zpsb276cb9a.jpg   Installing new HU and speakers-img_20140220_194440_532_zps7e87cb0f.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Where did you get that head unit mount?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should use some electric tape above and below the LED light so you don't get the bleed through.

I'm assuming it's a HUMount. ColBear96z
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Colbear96z
Where did you get that head unit mount?
google HUMount

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
You should use some electric tape above and below the LED light so you don't get the bleed through.

I'm assuming it's a HUMount. ColBear96z
I used theyre supplied tape like they said. It doesn't bother me, matches the rest of the headunit.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GiggleJuiced_SS
google HUMount

I used theyre supplied tape like they said. It doesn't bother me, matches the rest of the headunit.
What do you mean it matches the rest of the head unit? If you used the tape it should block the extra light that comes through on the top(above the lettering) and below(below the lettering but right above the HU). Otherwise you get the under and over line affect, which is what you're getting.

Whatever though, if you like it, keep it that way.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

pardon the hijack but what is the asr switch for? next to the fog light switch.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its for the traction control
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Acceleration Slip Regulation. Why they didn't just call it TCS (Traction Control System) like they did in the Firebird is anybody's guess.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Ok that makes sense. I knew TCS but I couldn't figure out ASR...

Quick Reply: Installing new HU and speakers