Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Thinking about rewiring...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about rewiring...

Any thought on this? I have a 94 z28 with bose system in it,and the rear speaker is popping at loud bass drops. I just wanna rewire it all and get a decent sound system in it.

Anyone selling a complete system cheap?

Any thoughts on if I should do it, how hard is it. Not looking to spend thousands, just something to give a nice bass drop with decent sound.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Depends on your budget. I just replaced the bose system in my 94 Z28. I actually haven't added up all the costs, but I replaced the head unit, 5 speakers, 2 amps, and all wiring, for well under $1000. I had the same goal as you, and wanted good sound too. I'm still tweaking my system (speaker placement), but I'm really pleased with it. A little later, I'll type up a list of components that I used, and what I spent. Kee Audio could also put a nice system together for you, very reasonably.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DamonZ28
Depends on your budget. I just replaced the bose system in my 94 Z28. I actually haven't added up all the costs, but I replaced the head unit, 5 speakers, 2 amps, and all wiring, for well under $1000. I had the same goal as you, and wanted good sound too. I'm still tweaking my system (speaker placement), but I'm really pleased with it. A little later, I'll type up a list of components that I used, and what I spent. Kee Audio could also put a nice system together for you, very reasonably.
Well, I have a Pioneer P4100-UB HU, the 2 door speakers are...sony? (Not stock) the previous owner upgraded them.

And my car only has the 2 upfront, and the speaker in the back.

I am up in the air about if, I want a stealth audio box where the current amp is for bose, or drop 2 10's or 12s in the truck (ttop holder) and mount the amp up top or on the wall in the trunk.

Right now, I am looking for amps and stuff and getting some pricing down pat, but that would be great if you could write all of that up, and maybe a vid of the sound and bass?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

It's pretty straight forward, just don't over pay for speaker wire, be sure to get COPPER and not Aluminum with copper cladding (which is what most the cheaper stuff is).

for a camaro I see two setups, depending on total budget, and the second is really just an extension of the first but you may want to plan ahead in the wiring stage if that is something you may do down the road.

Option 1 (use headunit to power door/sail speakers):
6.5" coaxial or component set for the front door
6.5" mid-bass driver (nothing where the frequency range is higher then about 2,000 Hz on the high end) for the sail panels
Subwoofer(s) and monoblock sub amp

Option 2 (all amplified)
add a 4-channel amplifier and wiring to run the doors and sails.

you can do option 1 now and add the amp later (if your budget doesn't allow) but if you plan to add the amp you should go ahead and wire for it now, meaning doing 1/0 gauge power and ground into a distribution block instead of a 4 gauge power wire run, DamonZ28 knows how much extra work it is to re-run when you decide to go from 1 amp to 2 so do it ahead of time and you'll only have the cost of the amp and maybe some speaker wire.

it really comes down to the MAX amount of money your willing to sink into it (and of course deciding on single stealth or dual sub box), make your choice there and I can give you a list of recommended parts that balance things.

I have Polk Audio DB6501 components in the front doors
SSL CP64 mid-ranges (would suggest something else here, the response range is to high on these) in the sails
2 Planet Audio bb212d 12" subs in a custom built box being powered by a Autotek M2500.1d amp (which is WAY overrated with it's claimed power output, but for the money is an excellent amp that will never overheat on you, and I've played it all out in Florida in JUNE weather in direct sunlight)

setup costs:
Autotek M2500.1d $150
Polk DB6501 $107
SSL CP64 $40
Planet Audio BB212D $220 (for the pair)
Box Materials $50 (built it myself)
Wiring $100 (estimated)

that's under 700 bucks but if you buy a box you will be anywhere from 100-300 for the box (depending on style).

You've got a great starting HU to do what you want with, Personally I would find a BTB-200 bluetooth add-on while you still can and get the bluetooth functionality added to it.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Finally got some time to write this up. I haven't added all the numbers up myself, so I'm interested to see how it comes out.

Pioneer DEH-8500BH head unit - $165
Rockford Fosgate P1675 6.75" speakers - $60 (they sound awesome)
(I put these in the sail panels, but switching to the doors this weekend)
Rockford Fosgate P165 6.5" speakers - $50
(In doors now, but either switching to sail panels, or removing entirely)
Hifonics GLX60.4 240watt 4-channel amp - $90
DB Link PK4Z 4 Gauge amp install kit - $20
Self-made amp rack - $20
Hifonics ZRX1200.1D 1200 watt amp - $140
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" sub - $60
Driver's side sub stealth enclosure box - $90
1/0 ga wiring/fuse holders/distribution blocks - $150

So for about $850 (plus some shipping costs) I've got a pretty nice system which I'm very happy with. Don't be afraid to contact Kee Audio directly & let him know what you're looking for. I got some of my stuff at one of the major online retailers, but ended up buying some other things from Kee Audio after he gave me some prices that were competitive & almost as low as the major online retailer.

Here's the thread about my amp rack fab & installation:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lots-pics.html

And my write about the install of the system. I haven't added pics of the subwoofer install yet, that will be coming.
http://webpages.charter.net/damonz28/stereo2013.html
Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

he's been talking to KeeAudio, he's got a good HU so he is set there but he is trying to keep everything to around 500 bucks and is leaning toward 2 -12's in a hatch box (losing t-top storage).

Quick Reply: Thinking about rewiring...