Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

engine harness tucking, sensor and pcm resistance potential issues ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine harness tucking, sensor and pcm resistance potential issues ?

Id like a few opinions on the following. Ok so I am extending or shortening an existing lq9 engine harness for aesthetic reasons. Instead of cutting the wires into two pieces and soldering a length of wire into the cut two sections of wire, I went to auto part recycle yard, and dismantled a 98 Silverado wiring harness and separated all the wires that had pins on them in hopes of just having to do one joint/soldering spot per wire that needs to be modified. I went home and compared the existing lq9 harness with the wires I pulled at the junk yard, the lq9 wires appeared to be a thicker gauge with 7 thick strands. The junk yard wires are thinner gauge with thinner seven strands. My concern is having to much resistance in the circuits, in turn adversely affecting the sensors/injectors or the pcm in a negative way. Can I use the wires I pulled from the yard even though they are not the same gauge or will I cause electrical issues ? The girth of the wires are, .066 and .077, .077 being the lq9. I made a soldered connection using the different wires and measured the resistance, the meter showed 0 ohms. Another question would be why does the lq9 engine harness have different size wires for different components. What's the purpose of different gauge wires ?

Last edited by Lq9'ed 80 Sierra; 04-13-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any wiring you add to existing should be equal or larger in gauge. You should measure near 0 ohms when you're done. I inline soldered mine and used heat shrink on all joints.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made a soldered connection using the two different sized wires. I measured the girth of the wires with digital caliper, the thin cable measures .066 and the thicker cable measures .074. The whole length of wire after soldering the two wires together was about 14 feet long and had two pcm pins on each side. From pin to pin it read 0 ohms.

Last edited by Lq9'ed 80 Sierra; 04-13-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: engine harness tucking, sensor and pcm resistance potential issues ?