Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Werid radio issue causing battery to die?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Werid radio issue causing battery to die?

Hi guys,

I have a few things to point out, and I'm hoping for some guidance. First I think I may have made a boo-boo. I hand washed the car on a nice day a few weekends ago and washed out the engine bay so it's clean. A few days later I was taking the car to work, and my CD was getting tired, so I went to switch CDs... (wish this stupid old pos had XM ) I tried like 5 different CDs and it kept throwing ERR, ERR. So I'm thinking god damnit, and started listening to the radio. I noticed the unit itself kept trying to suck in a CD and then eject it even though there was no CD in the unit and I was just driving listening to the radio. I went to get in the car this morning and the battery was dead, SOB! I'm not sure washing the engine bay is related but it could be. Does anybody have any thoughts on resetting the radio or WTH do I do to fix this???

Edit- I guess I should add that the battery is newer and I've never had a problem with the car before.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the head units in gm vehicles have been notorious for going bad.
my truck a 2006 with in-dash 6-disc changer, those style are the worst.
i doubt there's anything you can do, other than driving over the bumpiest of roads while the cd is playing, to accelerate the wear inside the cd player and cause it to break. they all die sooner or later.
so either find the fuse that kills power to the radio head unit, which might kill power to a few other things. or pull the head unit out.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock monsoon CD player out of a 2000 z28...
$40 shipped to your door
Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did the CD keep trying to eject when you turned off the car? That function is powered all the time, so it could have drained your battery.

There is probably something physically broken with the cd player. It's pretty easy to take the shell off the radio and see what is going on inside the player. Worst case, you can unplug the CD unit once you get the radio cover off and put it back in until you get a replacement.

Quick Reply: Werid radio issue causing battery to die?