Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

00 Trans Am - Keyless Entry - Where is module/antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Trans Am - Keyless Entry - Where is module/antenna?

Just got the car & not sure what I have to start figuring this out.

Car is a 2000 Trans Am & has power locks & the security LED on the center dash. The keys I got with the car have 1 aftermarket key fob. Below are some bullets of what I know:
  1. Power Locks work correctly
  2. I pulled radio fuse 17 & started the keyfob programming sequence. After the 3 key turns, the system acknowledges by cycling the doors & hatch.
  3. I tried both the aftermarket keyfob & one from my 2002 Chevy S10. There is never any acknowledgement of successful programming after the ~12-15 second wait while holding lock & unlock.
  4. I have not found any signs of an aftermarket alarm or wiring to suggest alteration of the stock system (other than the aftermarket keyfob that came with the keys).
  5. All other items on the car work, so I don't suspect any compounded problems that might be causing a fault with the keyless entry system.

I need to poke around under the dash to make sure there are no aftermarket modifications. Can anyone confirm that the keyless entry module is integral to the BCM? Is there an antenna I should look for to ensure it is still connected? Should a 2002 GM keyfob work with the 2000 Trans Am? If I need to get another keyfob, what do I look for to ensure it is compatible with the 2000 T/A?

Thanks
Justin

Last edited by jmettee; 04-23-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Yes, both keyless entry and factory alarm systems are contained in the BCM. There is no external antenna.

It is not just the year that makes a difference in key fobs, it's the model as well. Different GM models use different keyless entry circuitry making the key fobs incompatible. 96-02 F-bodies with factory alarm use part number 16245100. You should be able to find that number at your dealer, from online parts stores and on eBay.

BTW, I did not have my parts manual handy but was able to find the key fob part number in mere seconds by searching this forum... you should try it.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-26-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yes, both keyless entry and factory alarm systems are contained in the BCM. There is no external antenna.

It is not just the year that makes a difference in key fobs, it's the model as well. Different GM models use different keyless entry circuitry making the key fobs incompatible. 96-02 F-bodies with factory alarm use part number 16245100. You should be able to find that number at your dealer, from online parts stores and on eBay.

BTW, I did not have my parts manual handy but was able to find the key fob part number in mere seconds by searching this forum... you should try it.
Thanks for the info & the part number. I searched on the keyword "keyless entry". I didn't know there were different part number fobs since they all looked the same from what I saw. I did find programming instructions, which led me to trying to program my extra 2002 S-10 fob, to no avail.

I know how to search, but in this case didn't have the right thoughts to form the right search.

Quick Reply: 00 Trans Am - Keyless Entry - Where is module/antenna?