Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Voltage to Exciter Wire When Off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Voltage to Exciter Wire When Off?

2000 LS1 here. My alternator makes a high pitched electrical noise when the car is off. I tried a second alternator, but the noise persisted. So i pulled the alternator plug and found that the exciter wire (red pcm pin15) is putting out 5v when the key is off. Does anybody know what voltage should be when off? I was thinking it should be zero??
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it should be zero. when the pcm puts 5v on that "exciter wire" to the voltage regulator that is the turn on signal telling the alternator to charge.
if the pcm doesn't put 5v on that wire or the voltage regulator doesn't receive 5v on that terminal then the alternator will not output.
if the voltage regulator connects that exciter wire terminal to ground (electronically within the voltage regulator) that is how the pcm knows the alternator is bad.
so what have you done to your car?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response, looks like I have some troubleshooting to do. The engine/transmission are a transplant and the harness has been modified. I'm guessing that something got messed up when I reworked the harness.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
yes it should be zero. when the pcm puts 5v on that "exciter wire" to the voltage regulator that is the turn on signal telling the alternator to charge.
if the pcm doesn't put 5v on that wire or the voltage regulator doesn't receive 5v on that terminal then the alternator will not output.
if the voltage regulator connects that exciter wire terminal to ground (electronically within the voltage regulator) that is how the pcm knows the alternator is bad.
so what have you done to your car?
what should the voltage be when on. I'm measuring about 7.5v on my exciter wire for a 2001 z28 thats having a no charge issue. Alt has been swapped out already.

Last edited by Shotz89; 08-21-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-31-2018, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Default Same Problem

Did anyone ever solve this? I am having the same problem.
Old 10-30-2022, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by King21
Did anyone ever solve this? I am having the same problem.
Anybody figure this out? My ignite wire is 7.5 volts.. no charge.

Quick Reply: Voltage to Exciter Wire When Off?