Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ASR light (in switch) not lighting

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ASR light (in switch) not lighting

In my 2002 v6, my ASR button is working properly, but the light that is normally illuminated when ASR is on (be default) doesn't work. Is this a servicebable switch with a replaceable bulb, or is an LED that I need to look further into why it's not working.

I recently replaced my radio head unit, so I had those switches removed -- but I honestly don't know if it worked before that or not. I did that the first weak I had the car (i've had it for almost a month now).

Anyway, the switch works fine, the dash light for "ASR OFF" works fine, its just the light inside the switch it self is never on.... thoughts?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The indicator light is an LED in the switch that GM considers non-serviceable. You can buy a replacement switch or you could take it apart and try to solder in a new LED.

Before you do that, you may want to test that it is getting power and ground. The indicator LED gets 12V power through the pink wire on the back of the switch. That wire should have power whenever the ignition is ion the RUN position. The indicator is toggled on and off through the ground side controlled by the Electronic Brake Control Module. This is through the purple/white wire at the switch.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Teching In

awesome, thanks. That wiring info is helpful, I'll give it a test to see if i get voltage.

So, if ASR is ON (default), i should have 12V+ on Pink wire, and ground on purple/white. if ASR if OFF, i should have 12v+ on pink, but no ground on purple/white. sound right?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes. You can use a multimeter or a simple test light connected across the pink and purple/white wires to test those conditions.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Same here mine just went out last week. Off to the junk yard if need be.

So if you are getting power to it the LED is dead right?

What if there isn't any power going to it? How would you troubleshoot that?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

If you're not getting power then you have a bigger problem since that indicator shares it's power feed with the gauges in the instrument cluster. You probably would have noticed if they had all stopped working. If not, check the GAUGES fuse first.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you're not getting power then you have a bigger problem since that indicator shares it's power feed with the gauges in the instrument cluster. You probably would have noticed if they had all stopped working. If not, check the GAUGES fuse first.
Well I'm good there, gotta just be the LED.

I wanted to change the color of the LED at some point too but sounds like it's a PITA kinda.

Quick Reply: ASR light (in switch) not lighting