Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring Harness question for 2006 Chev Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring Harness question for 2006 Chev Cobalt

I notice that there is an expensive wiring harness ($39-$49) that keeps the safety chimes and turn signals and there is a regular harness that cost about $5-$10. My question is if I dont care/want to keep the safety chimes and the turn signal noises, will the cheaper harness work? Or is the only harness that will work the expensive one? Ive linked both of them for reference. Thanks in advance

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-Radio-Aftermarket-Installation-Wire-Harness-Antenna-Adapter-Plug-Set-/360992980120?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ACobalt&hash=item540cdbbc98&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-INTERFACE-CAR-STEREO-CD-PLAYER-WIRING-HARNESS-WIRE-AFTERMARKET-RADIO-INSTALL-/331035062352?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ACobalt&hash=item4d133a3050&vxp=mtr

Charlie
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

The adapter provides three other features that are arguably more important than the chimes and turn signal clicks (although I consider those important as well). Because the car has GM-LAN controlling the radio, you would lose both Retained Accessory Power (allowing the radio to run after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened) and the ability to use steering wheel controls if you use the plain harness adapter. The PAC adapter provides the necessary translation of the LAN data signals to retain RAP and provide the signal connection for a steering wheel control adapter such as the ASWC-1. It also provides the "healthy" signal on the LAN to keep the system from throwing a code.

The choice is up to you but in my experience, the adapter is worth spending $60 if you plan to keep the car for a while and are installing a decent audio system. I put a Kenwood DNX in my wife's '07 Envoy and I never even considered doing it without the adapter. Without it, it would have been nearly impossible to get all the other system components working (steering wheel controls, external Bluetooth module and external Sirius tuner).
Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The adapter provides three other features that are arguably more important than the chimes and turn signal clicks (although I consider those important as well). Because the car has GM-LAN controlling the radio, you would lose both Retained Accessory Power (allowing the radio to run after the ignition is turned off until a door is opened) and the ability to use steering wheel controls if you use the plain harness adapter. The PAC adapter provides the necessary translation of the LAN data signals to retain RAP and provide the signal connection for a steering wheel control adapter such as the ASWC-1. It also provides the "healthy" signal on the LAN to keep the system from throwing a code.

The choice is up to you but in my experience, the adapter is worth spending $60 if you plan to keep the car for a while and are installing a decent audio system. I put a Kenwood DNX in my wife's '07 Envoy and I never even considered doing it without the adapter. Without it, it would have been nearly impossible to get all the other system components working (steering wheel controls, external Bluetooth module and external Sirius tuner).
Thank you sir for the very detailed reply. I can always count on coming in here and asking you a question over the years and getting the best information. Having said that, my dad and sister have decided to go another route, if possible. Her 2006 Cobalt factory stereo does not have the AUX input in the front, but the 2007 on did. If we decide to buy a replacement 2007, will it fit in the 2006, and is the wiring harness the same? Thanks again brother
Old 08-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Sorry, no. The 2005-06 Cobalt uses different wiring from the 2007-10. Besides, you would have to buy a brand new factory head unit because once installed, they won't work in a vehicle with a different VIN. So you can't get one from a junk yard to work.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sorry, no. The 2005-06 Cobalt uses different wiring from the 2007-10. Besides, you would have to buy a brand new factory head unit because once installed, they won't work in a vehicle with a different VIN. So you can't get one from a junk yard to work.
Thank you again. Going to go with a single din Kenwood headunit, and the expensive wiring harness. Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness question for 2006 Chev Cobalt