Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon High Pitched Tone

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Monsoon High Pitched Tone

Hello all,

As of yesterday I am back into 4th gen ownership 8 years after I sold my '02 WS6.

I finally disabled the TheftLock on my HU today and was happy to have the stereo functioning.

Unfortunately a few seconds later the speakers started emitting a very high pitched tone. It's louder if the radio is on, and does not go away when I turn the radio off or the ignition off. I have to pull the radio acc fuse to extinguish the tone. If I replace the fuse the stereo functions normally for a few seconds and then the high pitch screech returns.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

No, but it sounds like a bad capacitor somewhere in the radio.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be internal like wssix99 suggested. Does the pitch vary with RPM? I had a similar whine that was typical with what you might hear from a bad ground. I swapped the stock HU, the stock amp, fuses, unplugged and moved wire harnesses around and couldn't get it to go away. Finally I found my negative cable on the battery to be slightly loose, so I cleaned off the terminals and cranked it back down and the sound went away...worth a shot to see if it's as simple as that.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull the radio out jump orange to pink with the engine running. If noise is their still the amp died. If noise goes away radio died.

Quick Reply: Monsoon High Pitched Tone