Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

06 Grand Prix Monsoon wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Grand Prix Monsoon wiring

So typical w-body problems, blew the rear speakers and was looking to replace them. Have crawled back there to see noticed each speaker had 4 wires from the Monsoon amp, which I speculate are for the tweeters and the midbass woofer.

Was looking at something like a Pioneer TS-D6902R, which has the built in crossover on the speaker itself, could I just wire both Positive signals together and both of the negative wires together and let the crossover interpret the signals or would the cause the amp to malfunction or result poor audio quality?

Input is greatly appreciated, as I've never tried to use the monsoon amps before ... in Fbodies I just ditch them lol
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

First... DO NOT connect the output wires together unless you want to witness the release of smoke from the Monsoon amp (electronic devices have only a certain amount of smoke in them and when you let that out, they don't work anymore). Connecting the positives is the same as bridging the amp and the Monsoon amp is not bridgeable.

I have not seen the w-body Monsoon speaker setup so I'm just guessing that there are probably more similarities than differences to f-body configurations. That would mean that the rear speakers would likely be dual voice coil subs (midbass) like in the Firebird sail panels. The alternative would be that they are coaxially mounted components like in Camaro doors. However, from a sound design perspective, the DVC midbass is more likely since you really don't want tweeters behind you except for low-powered rear fill.

I'd be willing to bet that Kee Audio or Double D Mods could fix you up with something appropriate.

Quick Reply: 06 Grand Prix Monsoon wiring