Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Swapped door speakers out in '99 WS6... sounds terrible

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped door speakers out in '99 WS6... sounds terrible

Terrible is not a good word for it... uneven is probably the correct term. It's a struggle to find the proper "balance" in my stereo since i have installed new speakers. It's like the rear speakers overwhelm the front speakers now so I have to adjust the fade a lot and it drives me INSANE. Here's my dilemma:

I have the stock monsoon head unit in place. Has a tape deck, i love it.

I left the 4" component/3/4" tweeter hatch speakers stock, they still sound great.

I installed the Bazookas from kee in my sail panels to resolve a blown woofer issue. LOVE EM, they sound great.
(Link: http://www.keeaudio.com/bazooka.html)

I find these infinity speakers, get them installed in the door panels and now they seem very underwhelming. The only real difference I notice between the Infinity's and the stock speakers is that the Infinity's are 6.5" 3-Ohm woofers instead of a 6.5" 2-Ohm mid's like the stock speakers were. Here is a link to the new speakers: (Infinity Reference X REF-6500cx - http://eu.infinitysystems.com/infini...ef-6500cx.html)

I'm not exactly a stereo or electrical aficionado, but can anybody explain to me why these door panel speakers sound so gutless? The overall sound quality of my system is good, but I hate having to adjust the fade *** to this position (/) to balance out the speakers. Is it all in my head or is there something in the speaker specs that's throwing off my sound? Thanks!!

Sincerely, I've spent $400 and my radio sounds like dooky.

(Blurb from Monsoon FAQ)
"Firebird coupes have component 6.5S (6.5" oversize) 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the doors, dual voice coil 6.5S (4-ohm + 4-ohm) subs mounted in the sail panels (beside the rear seat), and component 4" 4-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the hatch area. The two door mids and two hatch mids account for four of the eight channels of the amp while the DVC subs account for two channels each to make up the other four channels. This leaves the front and rear tweeters to be powered directly by the head unit."
Old 06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

just to confirm, when you wired in the doors you wired the speaker and tweeter directly to the existing wiring and did NOT use the included crossover, correct?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Also, are you sure you didn't get the mid and tweeter wiring reversed? That would cause exactly the symptoms you describe.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Well to be honest, I installed the bazookas and i had a shop install the infinity's in the door panels. I did not want to do a half *** job and break a clip or something so I paid them to do a half *** job for me. Meeting with them on Wednesday to talk it over and want to act like I have an idea of what I am talking about...

Should they have left the crossover out and just wired the speakers in to my existing wiring?

When i put the fade all the way to the front they don't sound bad, but I have had a set of computer speakers that were better and louder..

Last edited by KStornadoes; 06-01-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

do they produce a full range of sound? Pop off the "grille", it comes right out real easy and see if the woofer is moving and put your hand on the tweeter to feel for vibration in it.

go out and find a 20Hz-20,000Hz sweep MP3 file and play it with the fader all the way forward, you should be able to use that tone sweep to confirm both the tweeter and woofers are making noise and doing it across the frequency range, if they used the crossover then depending which set of wires they wired into you would only get minimal response from one while getting most response from other, also only using one set of wires is a big hit to the amount of power running to the doors.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Well, with a cassette deck and no adapter i was not able to do the sweep so instead i listened to a radio station and messed around with the equalizer. Both door panel subs are working and then tweeter in the driver side door is also working, didn't seem to get any life out of the passenger side door. I'm actually surprised that 6.5" woofer hit on such an array of notes from high to low. Still doesn't sound great though...

Went in this morning and they replaced the tweeters/woofers with tweeters/mids like they're supposed to be and rewired them. It's a 900% improvement, I am highly satisfied.

Last edited by KStornadoes; 06-03-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Swapped door speakers out in '99 WS6... sounds terrible