Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Rattling interior panels after speaker/stereo upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling interior panels after speaker/stereo upgrade.

I installed a new radio and speakers in my 2002 z28, sounds great. Except when there are certain bass tones that shake and rattle **** in the car. I am hoping to find a audio file that runs through the frequencies slowly to give me time to locate the vibrations. Anyone know of a good video/audio file? I searched youtube and found a lot of crap. What are the common frequencies that cause vibrations?

Now, after I find the vibrations, how do I get rid of them? I figure it's probably the plastic interior panels banging against the body. Would I put dynamat between the panel and the body? Thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a "tone generator" on the google play store if you have an android phone, it has a few presets or you can type in a specific frequency or there is a dial and you can just sit there and spin your way thru (but I suggest saving that till you close to fine tune it).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...chmatic.patone

this way you don't need to find a specific audio file of just the right frequency (which would involve downloading MANY audio files each being a different frequency).
Old 07-20-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

or give this a try if you cant get the above option to work.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sub...-tones.856057/

at some point you used to be able to buy a test CD though it was for a different purpose than what you are wanting. It was ment for tweeking you sound system for SPL and SQL competitions. Though it would accomplish the same thing you are after. So if either option doesnt work thats something you could look into. Any half decent sound shop should have one on hand honestly.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There was a '99-00 TSB for the panels around the sail panel subs. This thread has the details and I think the jury is still out as to if GM really fixed the problem for '01-02. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-interior.html

The front seat belt retractor mechanisms also make a good bit of noise back there. I haven't seen anyone complain too much about them (it drives me a little nuts) nor have I seen any methods for quieting them.

Quick Reply: Rattling interior panels after speaker/stereo upgrade.