Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

1969 Camaro Sub and audio system advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1969 Camaro Sub and audio system advice

Well there is currently Zero Audio equipment in my 1969 camaro. I was thinking two tens in the truck, two speakers on the rear deck and two in the front. Not sure on location yet. For the subs I heard good things about alpine type Rs and was thinking of 2 in a sealed box facing up at the deck or through the back seats.This is the general area:

And in this one you can see the rear deck speakers. I believe 6x9s:

Excuse all the old interior parts I haven't decided what do with them yet.

The area is a little over a foot high, roughly 40 inches wide, and 16 deep but obviously I can come deeper into the trunk if necessary and probably a little wider if necessary as well.

Matching the appropriate audio components is not my specialty but I will be able run all the wires and install. Most likely putting a head unit somewhere in center council area. Maybe the front.

Are two deck speakers and two in the front enough for good SQ or am I missing something. My truck has them in the pillars as well.

Also what are good quality speakers for the deck and front. I figured it be easiest to go all alpine but I'm open to suggestions. Rear deck is 6x9. Fronts will have to be a custom setup.

Before I get flamed I am using the search function there's a lot of info to take in and usually it's a good idea to talk people who know what to do and I don't think the Best Buy associate walking around is the right person. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

You first need to decide how much your willing to spend in it all. You need power wire, rcas, fuses, a box, amps, speakers, and a sub. That's given that you have a heady unit. Then decide do you just care about how loud it can be or do you want it to sounds good.

That's a good start..
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

A budget as well
Old 11-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Launching!

I would also make the decision early as to if you want to display any of your equipment. I've built all sorts of systems, and knowing what you want to see makes some major decisions for you.

As an example, I have still yet to cut the dash on a car older than '75, unless the owner is completely set on never wanting the dash to look stock. I've used the radios from Classic Industries, that look factory, and I have also mounted radios in the glove box so that you can swing the glove box closed, and have the dash look completely original. Those tend to be tough to reach while driving, so you'll be using the remote control almost every time.

I recently built a '62 Impala where I mounted the radio in the trunk, and then used a wired marine remote that I mounted under the dash on swing out brackets. Full display and controls at your fingertips while you're listening to music, swung out of sight when showing off the factory interior.

As far as speakers, you can get excellent sound while still hiding speakers behind the factory grills. I normally do a pair of 4" speaks in the dash on classic cars, and hide the rear speakers back under the rear deck panel. Subs and amps can all be hidden fairly easily in the trunk, or displayed if you like having the equipment shown off.

Post up more questions if you have any, and try to figure out what your budget will be. If you are doing the work yourself, you can save a ton of money. Just need to work slow and protect your classic!
Old 11-28-2015, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Cut the dash put a nice alpine CD player in. Do a set of kick panels with high quality components (Focal or dyn audio) on a nice 2 ch amp no rear speakers at all because they distract from front soundstage and SQ. Ported box with 2 10's in the trunk on a nice monoblock amp at 2 ohms. Simple and will awesome. If you just have to have rear speakers then you can put them in it's a personal preference to have rear. You have to have ear for no rear fill and front stage tonal accuracy etc and most people don't

Deal with stereo equipment today is simple. The stuff of 15-20 years ago by name brand companies is no longer some of it the baddest stuff on the market as it once was although nowaday's it's still good stuff. My findings with a lot of audio equipment now day's is that is is all more or less the same quality and SQ wise. So you can get a great sounding system by saving money doing your research and not necessarily purchasing the name brand stuff.

Quick Reply: 1969 Camaro Sub and audio system advice