Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon HU removal issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon HU removal issue

I want to replace the burned bulbs in my Monsoon HU in my '01 V6 Firebird. No issues with pulling the trim bezel or the screws. The issue is the HU only comes out so far until it hangs on something. I can't get to the wiring harness plugs. I tried pulling the a/c controls but didn't disconnect them as it was getting late so that was a waste of time.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have an electronics background and have replaced many a stereo and 2-way radio in my days so I know better than to go yanking on stuff. This shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks.

Don
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try wiggling and shaking up/down & left/right as you pull on it. You must just have a wire snagged a bit.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 AM

Yea, that's what I was thinking too. It was late, I had just got home from work and wasn't into really getting into it. I can hear it and that's what really counts. When it put it all back in the display is completely dark now. I'm hoping a quick touch with the soldering iron at least gets some of that back.

Thanks eseibel.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

The wires run behind the bracket that secures the back of the HU. You need to lift up and try to get the wires to slide up over the bracket then it will slide out.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 AM

Thanks King. I think when I have time I'll pull the a/c controls and try to get my hand under there to coax them out. Right now I have a rattling cat converter that's takes priority. I can hear the stereo.

Ah, the joys of having a 15 year old, 164K mile daily driver with a 125 mile commute. Intake gaskets, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, heater elbows, head gaskets, friggin' mice eating my plug wires twice... I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Quick Reply: Monsoon HU removal issue