Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How do you mount a gauge in a vent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you mount a gauge in a vent?

I want to mount my AFR gauge in the middle vent on my 99 T/A, but I'm not finding any good info on how to do it or what parts are available. I'd like it to be blocked off from behind so moisture from running the a/c doesn't damage anything. Anyone know where I can find parts/how to fab parts/best way to run the wires for this? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well depends on the size it is. 2 1/16 with need the ring you can purchase to set the gauge in or the 2 5/8 will fit perfectly in the vent. I use to run my aeroforce gauge in the vent with ac on and nothing blocking from behind and. Ever had an issue at all. Ran like that for around 2 years.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
Well depends on the size it is. 2 1/16 with need the ring you can purchase to set the gauge in or the 2 5/8 will fit perfectly in the vent. I use to run my aeroforce gauge in the vent with ac on and nothing blocking from behind and. Ever had an issue at all. Ran like that for around 2 years.
Looks like it's 2 1/16, so I guess I'll need that ring. Will something like this do the trick? Speed Inc 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Center Vent Gauge Adapter
Old 11-23-2016, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by samerickson89
Looks like it's 2 1/16, so I guess I'll need that ring. Will something like this do the trick? Speed Inc 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Center Vent Gauge Adapter
Yes sir that's it. It fits nice and snug in the vent
Old 11-23-2016, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Firebirdmuscle
Yes sir that's it. It fits nice and snug in the vent
Awesome, thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Found a much cheaper way to do this. I went to Lowe's plumbing department (it's surprising how much I shop for car stuff there) and got a flexible rubber coupling that was just barely big enough to force the gauge into - in fact I had to hit the coupling with a blow dryer to get it all the way in. Cut the coupling off even with the back of the gauge, and snipped off the mounting bolts. Then I took the vent out and broke off all the louvers, leaving just the outer ring. That fit nice and snug around the coupling, and I was able to just snap the whole thing right in.

**WARNING** I found out the hard way that once you do this, you won't be able to get at the little clips to remove the gauge. So what you might want to do is dremel out that lip on either side, slide the assembly in rotated 90 degrees, then turn it right side up once it's cleared the lip.

Quick Reply: How do you mount a gauge in a vent?